Can't Stand These Mesothelioma Lawyer Commercials

Lately I have been trying to find ways to make one of my many (non-University of MN) blogs more profitable by using a pay per click service like Google Adsense. Adsense searches for keywords in your posts then puts advertising links on your page that are related to what you have written. You get paid each time someone clicks on one of the links.

I decided to see what keywords pay the most then write about them. I was shocked to find that one of the highest paying keyword terms was mesothelioma lawyer or asbestos attorneys! (It costs like $45 a click for advertisers. MAN! Can you imagine how lucrative that must be if they can afford to pay that much for someone just to click on their ad?)

Can you believe it? Asbestos attorneys, the bloodsuckers who prey off people who develop cancer in the lining of their lungs, heart, or stomach cavities due to asbestos exposure from working at industrial plants like ship yards and steel mills.

Now don't get me wrong. I understand that we need lawyers, especially tort lawyers who specialize in helping people who have been injured by a dangerous product or someone else's negligence, but asbestos attorneys are different. Everyone knows how dangerous asbestos is so it isn't being used anymore and places that had it hired asbestos removal companies to get rid of it a long time ago.

There is no cure for mesothelioma; the only thing a person who has been diagnosed with the cancer has to look forward to is months or years of treatment that includes surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation. But none of that matters to the lawyers. They are just interested in getting a chunk of the money that companies are paying to the unfortunate saps that develop the disease. What really ticks me off is that they target specific groups of people who may have been exposed and encourage them to be tested for the cancer even if they have never exhibited a sign or symptom of having it. What's even worse is that these sharks are actively targeting rescue workers and people who worked at Ground Zero after the attacks on the World Trade Center and Navy veterans who worked in ship yards or served on ships or submarines during World War II and Vietnam. People that spend their lives helping others unlike the bloodsucking attorneys who are just out to help themselves. Like I said before I understand the need for tort lawyers, but man I just can't stand them.

Criminal Law

I have admired my friend from grammar school for a long time. It's not just because she has always done what she said she set out to do, but also because of her personal integrity. She has just graduated from college and is now sure that she is going to be a lawyer. However, she is uncertain of which type of law to pursue. Everyone she knows has been recommending her to go the criminal defense law route. Since she lives in New York the lure of getting paid big bucks is strong. She has been told that becoming a New York criminal lawyer will bring in a lot of money.

The issue that I have with being a criminal defense lawyer, and why I advised her against it, is because she will pretty much have to store her integrity on a shelf. After all, if she is getting paid by her client, the job is to get them off, no matter what. Whether they are innocent or guilty is irrelevant. Now, this is not a problem for most folks. However, I know that my friend has some deep values that have taken her this far. She is going to have a hard time with this. It will be hard for her to give 100% of herself, if she knows that the person that she is defending is guilty as sin.

Another downside to being a criminal lawyer is that you are dealing with cons that usually do not have a lot of money. You will get the rich client once in a while with a suitcase full of Benjamins, but that will not be the norm. There will be a lot of scratching around to get paid. If they are convicted, the likelihood they can pay is low. A New York criminal lawyer has a very stressful job and it's pretty much a 24 hour job. It will be hard to combine a home life with this type of career. Also, if she becomes a New York criminal lawyer, she better like hanging out in the jails because that is where she is going to be most of the time, interviewing clients. I have added my two cents. Let's see what she decides.