Recently in 2_CopyWRONG Category

CopyWrong - 2 PDFs

These are two PDFs made for this project.

CopyWrong_page1-2.pdf

CopyWrong_page2-2.pdf

CopyWrong - Appropriation

1- Is this Fair Use of an image?
2- Did I break the law?
3- Did I remix or use a small enough portion of the original image to make this legal?
4- If I wanted to use this image in my portfolio or for commercial purposes, would I need to get permission?

What my understanding about this topic is that it is a very fine line between Fair Use and breaking the law. Fair Use means that an image or anything really is open to the public to use and appropriate into his or her own version of "art", whatever that may be. It is breaking the law when it hasn't been altered, Photoshoped, or changed completely from the original and used for commission. One can borrow imagery, but it has to be almost unrecognizable from the original to be safe.
My images from both of the Tweed examples have some that are safe and some that are considered 'breaking the law', because I didn't not alter it enough. I just changed the colors or moved things around which would be "stealing" (if I decide to sell it). Most of my images are safe because I incorporated my imagery into enough that one should tell where the appropriated image originated. The images that I do like enough to use in my portfolio would be safe where I wouldn't have to ask permission because the appropriated image isn't the main focus and is completely altered. I took in small portions in most of them that they would be fine to use. The ones that aren't I know because it is basically, entirely the same as the original.

Images Influenced by 2nd Choice Tweed

abstractimage.jpg
This one is safe, may have to ask permission, but I completely changed this from the original. I don't believe I broke any laws.

dreamwalkman.jpg
This one I am unsure about. The man can be traced back to the original. I may have to ask permission before I ever sell it or do anything with it. Unsure.

mancutout.png
This one I believe is border-lined. The trees and the man are both from the original, but I completely changed the image so much it would be hard to figure out the true identity of it.

Wallpaper.jpg
This one I believe is safe. I have the image appropriated with a couple of mine. I took the trees and made it into wall paper. This one I believe is safe and not breaking any laws.

photoimage.jpg
This one is also safe. I just used the texture from the original and laid it over my image. I don't think this is breaking the law.

Tweed Choice #2

Mario Agusto Garcia Portela 
(Cuban, b. 1942)
El Autor y su Obra (The Artist and His Work)
1994
ink and photographs on illustration board, 
20" x 26 1/2"
Gift of the Artist

resized_023.jpg

I choose this image because of the old, historical aspect. It reminds me of some images that I have taken in the past. The landscape is very interesting and tells a story.

Images influenced by Tweed

Post_changed_43.jpg
This one is breaking the Copyright laws because it wasn't altered enough from the original. All I did was change the color and distorted it; not enough if I want to use it in my portfolio.

Post_Model_earring2.jpg
This image is about the earring - even though the image was taken from my sister's photographer. This one is safe when relation to the original image.

Post_Model1.jpg
This is my image- it's about the idea of making jewelry. It's safe on the sense that the shapes of the original influenced the jewelry.

Post_testidea2.jpg
This one is not breaking any copy right laws because it's my own interpretation of the original.

Post_testidea3.jpg
This one was just to show the relationship between the shapes in the image and in the reality of the underground. I just added the colors into the image for the main piece.

Image from the Tweed Collection

For the next assignment I am choosing to work with ...

LanguageofArts_Tweed.jpg

Charles Joseph Biederman
(American, 1906 - 2004)
#7, New York
1940
wood, metal, Plexiglas, paint, 66 3/4" x 81 1/4" x 15 1/2"
Gift of Lydia E. and Raymond F. Hedin

I choose this image by Charles Joseph Biederman because it was abstract and playful. The circular shapes and forms will be interesting to alter and change. It reminded me at first of a album cover; the shapes look like CDs. I also think the color palette is simple and easy to work with.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the 2_CopyWRONG category.

1_Winter Remix is the previous category.

3_Collaborative is the next category.