« Quantifying Patient Care | Main | The Education of the Patient »

Media Influences Young

We constantly look at leaders in a community to teach young ones appropriate behavior. These leaders can range from parents to health care providers.

Primary care doctors, a specialty losing its lust and once popularity among medical students, would be a prime target to help control the behaviors of American teenagers. They would be the ones to help guide them and inform them about appropriate sexual relations and pregnancies (educators would also be good, but that’s not the focus of this blog). With new research linking promiscuity to television shows, I’m not sure how well we can rely on these community leaders.

Shows that highlight only the positive aspects of sexual behavior without the risks can lead teens to have unprotected sex "before they're ready to make responsible and informed decisions," lead author Anita Chandra said. Chandra said TV-watching was strongly connected with teen pregnancy even when other factors were considered, including grades, family structure and parents' education level.

I find it disturbing how well media can influence teenage behavior. Where have all the positive role models gone to? I’m not sure if seeing a primary care doctor annually would change any behavior among this age group.

Article can be found at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/03/AR2008110300753.html

I took a public health course on sex education. There is so much controversy around this issue! The media is definitely a big factor in the rise in teen sexual activity. There is a very cool nonprofit advocacy group that helps parents and teens monitor the media called Common Sense Media .