06/29/05 Posting

For the most part, the paper on diets and well-balanced eating used formal language. She didn't use profanities, rarely used slang, and stayed away from generic wording.

The main part of her paper that was not formal was her use of "you." That can be seen on the top of page 2, and other places. The paper would have been stronger with out this, and she definitely could have found another way to word it.

I would also suggest to her to watch certain phrases that seem informal. Her use of exclamation points in the first paragraph, to phrases later on in the paper seem to make her seem under educated on the subject, which probably isn't the case.

Asking questions so often in the paper got kind of old. Instead of asking so many questions, she could have just gotton to the point.

Overall, this was a pretty strong paper. Her language was formal, a good use of vocabulary, and got her ideas across.

Posted by grif0214 at 11:25 AM

06/22/05 Posting

"Candyfreak" was a really interesting essay written by Steve Almond. At first I thought it was a little weird that he was completely unwilling to buy expensive candy, but once trying the Five Star Bars, he was able to open up and eventually crave nothing but this candy. I personally have never tried these bars, but after this essay, I feel like I might be missing out.

While reading "Why the Fries Taste so Good", I noticed many new things. First of all, I didn't know that potatoes were made differently, and that there were different kinds of potatoes (ones used at McDonalds that are large and have a lot of starch). I didn't know the steps involved in making french fries, especially how many ingredients are involved in the intricate process.

If I had to decide which story I like best, I would have to say "Candyfreak" because of how colorful and intricate the author was. Talking about chocolate: milk, white, and dark, can become relatively boring, but this essay was entertaining to read. It had humor, facts, and creativeness to keep the reader interested.

Posted by grif0214 at 3:45 AM

06/21/05 In Class Posting

"815 million people in the developing world are undernourished." ("Hunger Basics")

I chose this fact because of the alarming amount of people included in that statistic. 815 million people, in the developing world alone, are undernourished. That means that nearly 1 billion people are not getting the amount of vitamins, minerals, and calories that they need on a daily basis. This is important to note because around 1 in 7 people in the world are starving or undernourished, which poses a huge problem now and in the future, and not a whole lot is being done to help it. I think by getting that number out there and making it more known what a problem hunger is, people will be aware and be more inclined to do something.

Posted by grif0214 at 10:28 AM

06/21/05 Posting

Although I have seen pictures of emaciated children in the past, it is still just as shocking and sad every time. It is suprising that people are actually living like that today, especially looking at how most Americans are living. Being surrounded by college students lucky enough to go to college makes me take things for granted, but then reading about the statistics of children under 5 who die before even getting to the age of college. I thought the statistics of children malnourished/dying were the most shocking and suprising.

Another fact that I was suprised about was the man to woman ratio of malnourishment. I guess I had never really thought about the difference, but it does make sense. Women tend to have more fragile bodies, and they are also responsible for giving birth. Pregnant women need more nutrition and food, but of course don't receive it in developing countries. I had never thought about it that way before. I always thought of malnourished adults as a whole, not as men versus women.

I have volunteered at a soup kitchen in the past, and I always felt sorry for the people that were there because I knew their backgrounds couldn't have been that happy. However, everyone there seemed to be getting enough food, they just couldn't afford it themselves. That is different in developing countries. They have no where to turn if they are out of money, but the US at least has soup kitchens.

Posted by grif0214 at 3:42 PM

06/20/05 Posting

Of all the readings for Monday, I think my favorite was the second one: "Getting the Goods". All 3 of the stories in "Getting the Goods" were interesting, and had quirky people telling their stories. My personal favorite was Brenda Langton because she seemed like a peppy, funny person that knew what she was looking for. Rick Kimmes, the fish guy, seemed to have a very stressful and intense job, making sure all of the seafood got there on time, at what temperature, and how much would be coming. Boyd Freeman, the meat guy, seemed to have an exhausting job, cutting and slicing meats and steaks, probably a very meticulous task.

Although I liked the first essay, "My Time at the Times", I felt like maybe she was taking her job just a little too seriously, wearing wigs, but putting them on in the cab so not even co-workers would know her disguises. Also, I felt like she viewed herself as nearly a celebrity, when in actuality she would not be viewed as such in any place besides a restaurant. However, I liked her stories, and it seems like a very interesting job.

Iggers' review of pizza places seemed very research-involved, and gave me a lot of insight on how much work has to be put into a pizza. Both of the places seemed very respectable, and that they take their job seriously.

Posted by grif0214 at 12:35 AM

06/16/05 Posting

Today's reading really opened my eyes to a lot of new ideas and truths about options of buying food. Buying food at grocery stores might be convenient, but now it seems like it is a second hand way and taste of getting it. The four ways described in these essays (meat market, CSA, Farmer's Market, and stores such as CostCo and Sam's Club) are all so different, but for the most part have one thing in common: they are fresh. Going straight from the farmer to you for vegetables can't get much more fresh, and going to a meat market seems to be a whole lot less cruel to animals. I didn't really know anything about either of these options, but they seem to be a good way to get food, whether or not if they are more expensive.

I've known about the Farmer's Market since I was able to walk, and have always liked it. The people are friendly, the food is good, and it is a fun way to get fresh food. I think if I had a choice I would go to a meat market for my meat instead of the grocery store because it is fresher, has a better taste, and is more humane to the animals. Although the CSA is a good idea and people that use it seem to be happy, I'm not sure how I would feel about not having a choice of what I get, and having to help farm.

Posted by grif0214 at 7:15 PM

06/14/05 Posting

Planning the food for a special occasion is usually the most time consuming, most important part of the entire event. Themes and quantity all have to be carefully planned out through food. Events such as a funeral in "A Flowering of Appetite" are mostly about which food is most appropriate, will be liked by most guests, and is financially acceptable. So many other events are planned through food other than funerals: Weddings, engagement parties, baby showers, Christmas, Thanksgiving, any get together, picnics, parties, themed parties, etc... Virtually anywhere you go there will be food, it is a staple of our culture.

Not only is food necessary to survive, but where, when, how often, and with whom you eat with can affect the taste and experience of it. Food serves a number of purposes, especially at parties. Not only does it serve as an energy boost to your guests to encourage mingling, but it is also a huge conversation starter/ice breaker. You always hear people discussing what the food is and how it tastes at any party you go to. In "A Flowering Appetite", the food provided comfort to not only the dying grandmother, but to her entire family once she passed. It was symbolic of how they felt, once the initial grief was gone, their appetites came back.

Posted by grif0214 at 6:56 PM

06/13/05 Posting

In "Ode to an Egg", Wildgen seems to focus mostly on the strength and beauty of an egg. By using quotes from famous authors and describing every aspect of an egg, she seemed to be trying to give the egg power. She thinks the egg is strong and beautiful in its own way, and unlike anything else. In "Let's be Frank", Loh mainly focused on brand names, and convenience of certain foods such as the Lay potato chips, origional flavor, and the different types of hot dogs. She used humor to discuss how food was supposed to be fun and if it wasn't fattening, it wasn't good enough. In "Something from the Oven", Shapiro seemed to prize time and energy put in to food, talking about cake mixes and which one was better: a mix or making it by scratch.

My outlook on these foods did change a little bit because of how they were written. Now I think more about eggs, and what they bring to us. Also, I think about Loh and her fatty foods, being that I don't necessarily think being overweight but happy because you are eating whatever you want is the best idea for your health. And finally, I think more about cakes, and it almost makes me feel stupid because the companies had to take the dried eggs out just to have people buy their mixes again because they wanted to feel like they are making something, when in reality, putting eggs in is just like putting water in.

Posted by grif0214 at 8:34 PM

My Food ID

1) My favorite foods are any kind of fruit. My favorite fruit is a peach, but I like all kinds. They go well with so many different things, but I like them the best just plain.

My least favorite kind of food is sea food. The only type of fish/sea food that I really like are salmon and shrimp. It's not that I hate other kinds, but I would rather be eating something else.

2) My favorite place to eat on a free Friday night is probably TGIFridays because I know a couple of people that work there, it's a fun environment, and I like the food.

3) For thanksgiving, my family always has a large variety of foods such as turkey, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, stuffing (both made inside and out), broccoli salad, regular salad, mashed potatoes, dip, wine, lemon meringue pie, pumpkin pie, cranberry salad, and some other things. I will usually try everything that is there, but never sweet potatoes, I think they're gross.

4) The most unusual thing I've ever eaten would have to be reindeer tongue. It is pretty much what it sounds like, I ate it at a Christmas party one year- never again.

5) As a cook, I would describe myself as inexperienced. I've never really had to cook for any reason. When I do cook something, it usually turns out pretty well. The most common things I cook are cakes and cookies.

6) For a typical weeknight dinner, I would usually eat with about 40 girls and an 80 year-old woman (our house mom). I lived in my sorority house for the school year, so we had a cook (Amber) for lunch and dinners.

7) Growing up, my mom did most of the cooking. Although my mom does work, she would get home before my dad, so she was primarily the one who cooked for the family.

8) Almost all of the food at our house comes from the grocery store. Although we used to grow avacados and lemons at my old house, we can't do that here. Sometimes my mom will go to the farmer's market, but not as much anymore. We used to have raspberry and blackberry bushes, but I think they died last year. We have a cherry tree in our front yard, so my mom, dad, or sister usually make a pie at some point.

Posted by grif0214 at 12:23 PM