Part 1: Get in a playful mood.
This was joyfully accomplished by watching my favorite TV classic, M*A*S*H. I also threw in an episode of Drew Carry's Improv-A-Ganza for good measure. (It's just like Who's Line, but in Vegas and with half the Drew Carry)
Part 2: Mind map- sink/basin theme
My first mind map branched into various themes from "sink/basin" but soon I filled up the paper, so I created another map intent on going as far as I could off each new idea. I started with "kitchens" and "faucets" and then the map blew up from there, making all sorts of crazy connections.
Mind Map #1:
Mind Map #2
Part 3: Ten silly ideas
I used cross products and an association map to brainstorm sink/basin-themed products.
I started thinking about items in the kitchen: measuring cup, can opener, grater, spatula, ladle, potato masher, salt & pepper shakers, funnel, oven mitts, pots and pans, strainer, bowls, cookie sheets, muffin pans, cutting board, knives, mixer...and referred back to the initial mind maps to brainstorm silly ideas.
Some cross products:
Glasses+ science = beaker and test tube glasses
Tupperware + alarm clock = gross-out meter
Rolling pin + hardware = ruler roller
Cookie sheet + hardware = cookie dough placement system
---TOP 10 Ideas--- (images below)
1. Mustache chip clip
2. Test tube and flask drinking glasses
3. Cookie Cup: a long and narrow cup, perfect for dipping cookies
4. Cookie Sheet: a cookie sheet with cookies on it indicated proper cookie placement for the typical cookie recipe (2" apart"
5. Have mercy potato peeler: a potato peel that resembles a knife in design, emits a screaming noise when potato is peeled
6. Tupperware with "Gross-Out Meter" to indicate your leftovers level of grossness (advances each day)
7. Rolling pin with depth measurement: allows you to roll the perfect ¼" dough
8. Clear sink - see-through sink bowl allows you to see your counter aquarium or whatever design you choose to put beneath it.
9. Motorcycle pizza cutter: motorcycle's front wheel slices the pizza while it emits a "vrrrrroooom" noise
10. "Bombs away!" drain plug