« Mine Blast Kills 74 in China | Main | News Story Leads: First and Second Day News »

Teen Vanishes on Way to School

A California teenager remains missing a week after she vanished on her way to school.

Last Friday, Amber DuBois, 14, left her house around 7 a.m., headed for school. Somewhere along the way, she disappeared. Her cell-phone was turned on for about 20 seconds but hasn’t been on since, Escondido Police Department spokesman Lt. Bob Benton told CNN.

“She’s a wholesome kid,” DuBois’ mother, Carrie McGonigle, told CNN. “She doesn’t run amok like most teenagers. She did not run away, I guarantee it.”

Police suspect DuBois was abducted.

"We don't know the circumstances of her disappearance or the person she was walking with, but being 14 years old and missing as long as she has without ever having gone missing before is very suspicious," Benton said according to CNN.

A classmate reported seeing DuBois a week ago Sunday, walking with an unknown person about a half a mile from her home.
Both McGonigle and her live-in boyfriend have taken, and passed, polygraph tests and other relatives are now being interviewed as well. The FBI is now assisting the Escondido Police in the ongoing investigation.

McGonigle is still in shock over the whole situation.

"I go to sleep thinking she's going to be walking in my room any minute saying, 'Mom, I'm back.' But now it's just becoming a numb feeling,” she told CNN.