Good Lookin

I am now almost obsessed with the weird news link on the Duluth News Tribune site. This week has a few good ones. Check it out.

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/weird_news/

175144405918.jpg

Posted by groo0018 at 9:50 AM

Praxis Test

Well....I met my nemisis on Saturday morning at 8am. They are little bubbles that you fill in with your stupid #2 pencil. It's a teacher licensing test. I had to take two and they were two hours long. I HATE them, but they are now done. I should find out sometime around Christmas if I passed them. So look out, I just may be teaching your little children someday.

Posted by groo0018 at 9:37 AM

A poem by Boris E. Nadary-Chandra

Sometimes under the wild ricing moon there will be people who still complain about its structure. I, on the other hand, will bitch at them because they are too ignorant to even know what it stands for.

Sometimes under the wild ricing moon, I will want to smell burning leaves. I will think about the time I lived up north.

Sometimes under the wild ricing moon, I will have a lovely picnic as I drink almost an entire bottle of my favorite wine.

Then sometimes under the wild ricing moon, bad things can happen.

Sometimes, under the wild ricing moon, the people will tremble in fear as the electro-magnetic weapon reeks havoc on Duluth.

Sometimes under the wild ricing moon, the ground will shake, just a little. The wind will whisper. Then silence.

Sometimes under the wild ricing moon they will have to try and flee to safety.

Sometimes, under a wild ricing moon, students will use textbooks as lily pads and hop across the pond singing sad songs of summer.

Sometimes under the wild ricing moon, they will have to send someone to try and save them. It was told that their safety would only come when the recipe to dismantle the weapon was found.

And sometimes, under the wild ricing moon, after the writing is complete, she drop back to her feet, and they’ll all get back into the canoe and watch as the moon drops lower, til they reach the shore again.

When it’s time to go, she’ll touch all of the beasts on their cheek, and walk back to town with the recipes tucked under her arm.

Sometimes, under the wild ricing moon…

Posted by groo0018 at 10:32 AM

Sometimes under the wild ricing moon: A poem by Dayna

…there will be people who still complain about its structure. I, on the other hand, will bitch at them because they are too ignorant to even know what it stands for. Sometimes under the wild ricing moon,

I will try to propel myself like a rocket man through its giant hoop. Sometimes under the wild ricing moon,

I will at times laugh out loud when I gaze at the giant ring and think to myself that it looks like a giant nuva-ring. Sometimes under the wild ricing moon,

I will picture a giant hippo hula-hooping with the giant moon. Sometimes, under the wild ricing moon,

I will have a lovely picnic as I drink almost an entire bottle of my favorite wine. Sometimes, under the wild ricing moon,

The people will tremble in fear as the electro-magnetic weapon reeks havoc on Duluth. Sometimes under the wild ricing moon,

Posted by groo0018 at 10:05 AM

Quote

So, I already forgot to put up a quote yesterday. What a plan...it lasted one day. Well here's today's quote:

Nice Set of Pipes.

- Headline in the Duluth News Tribune 11/14/05

Here's the story if you wish to see these pipes:

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/living/community/13145681.htm

Posted by groo0018 at 9:22 AM

Quoteable Quotes

I have decided to try and put up a good quote everyday...we'll see how this goes since I'll probably remember to do it only once a week.

Today's quote:

If it looks like poop and smells like poop, it's probably poop.

- My father, Larry Groom

Posted by groo0018 at 10:35 PM

Life at the top

So, I was fortunate enough to have gotten to spend some time with a producer from the BBC. He came to Duluth to interview a young man that I wrote a story about. The story was about this 18 yr old who had won about 150,000 gambling online. Well this producer is doing a piece for the BBC and NPR about on-line gambling, and when he was introduced to my story he decided to come to Duluth to do a few interviews. While he was here I was able to watch him conduct an interview...it was cool to see how a real professional works. I learned a lot from just a few hours of watching him conduct an interview. Needless to say, it was an awesome experience. I even had the chance to hang out with him for a while- he was quite charming. It was a lot fun and a great experience.

The producer's name was Mark Alden. He covers news in the US. Here is a link to a great piece he produced about the presence of religion in public schools in the US, focusing on a town's addition of the Intelligent Design theory to its curriculum.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/crossing_continents/4292303.stm

Posted by groo0018 at 9:44 PM

What are the possibilities of video games as narrative?

Is it possible to design videogames that deal with social and political issues? Could videogames be used as a tool for encouraging critical thinking? Do videogames offer an alternative way of understanding reality?

These were a few questions posed by Gonzalo Frasca in his article titled Videogames of the Oppressed. I personally believe that yes is the answer for all of the above. People make and program games, which means that if you could imagine it, you could make a game out of it. Games could be, and some are already indeed educational. Could games deal with social and politcal isse? Sure. What about the Nintendo Jeopardy? That has questions dealing with politics. I believe the question asking do video games offer an alternative way of understanding reality, is the only question that could present an argument. There are those who believe that gamea are game...and nothing more. But, there are also those who believe that games do indeed offer this sort of "other world". A world where players can somewhat escape to. Some believ ethat some people who play excessivley, start to try and live like they are in a video game. I am not so sure how I stand on this issue. I believe that perhaps both can be true. I guess if someone were to play games nonstop, the line between what is real and what is a game may start to become blurry.

Posted by groo0018 at 9:36 PM

Story or Not

relationship between games and story remains a divisive question among game fans, designers, and scholars alike. At a recent academic Games Studies conference, for example, a blood feud threatened to erupt between the self-proclaimed ludologists, who wanted to see the focus shift onto the mechanics of game play, and the narratologists, who were interested in studying games alongside other storytelling media.

This was excerpt from a recent article about the relationship between gaming and stories, written by Henry Jenkins. There seems to be a constant battle between theorists concerning video games and narritive story. Some beleive that the future of games is in storytelling, while others believe that games should stick to the simple mechanics of games. I personally believe that games teh best video games involve a little of both. Take Super Mario Brother for example, there is a definate story that is told throughout the game, but there are those "free" levels where you just play a simple game or go through a maze to earn some extra points. I think it's funny that people are getting so upset while trying to put a single definition on gaming. I think part of the point of video games to have no boundaries or to break any boundaries.

Posted by groo0018 at 9:21 PM

A blogger's tale

I have recently come to the conclusion that blogs, along withmany other things such as video games, are all stories. I have relized that much of what we do as humans is storytelling, whther we realize this or not. The games we play, the movies we watch, the entries in our blogs, text messages, and even our conversations....it's all one big story we're telling. It's fascinating. I think that so many people are unaware of the stories they are telling or living because they can not see them..they are not actually reading the words. This is why things such as blogs are validating the fact that much of our life revolves aroud stories and storytelling.

Posted by groo0018 at 9:29 AM

Internet: Safe place for expression

Nines is a group that is dedicated to having more peer reviewed scholaraly work online. I find this interesting. It seems that throughout history, people are constantly striving to have ther work or stories approved by others. It is just not good enought to have it published or on the web, you have to have others telling you your work is good. I understand that they are seeing that more and more scholarly work is appeaaring on the web, and they would like to see that this continues, but do they really need to establish a peer-reviewed network? I mean, isn't the internet a place where you can escape the usual standards that the real-world paper texts bind you to?

Posted by groo0018 at 8:43 PM

html = computer thrown in the trash

So I had my website up and running. Yes, it was a piece of crap, but I spent many, many hours working on it and now it is broken. None of the pictures show up. It pisses me off, and my computer will pay for it soon. Anyways, I'll get it up and running asd soon as I can..my parents were so proud that I made a website, and they never even got to see it. So, I need to fix it for them at least. Needless to say, I am glad that the project is done. It was kind of fun I guess, but i don't know if I'd do it again- I'd rather pay someone else to do it.

Posted by groo0018 at 8:29 PM

Storytelling- the beginning of text

It seems ad though the site Ivanhoe is dedeicated to helping people experience the variety of text, along with the power that text can hold. Ivanhoe is a game that is based around the player interacting in a story. Again, here we see the power of storytelling in games. Storytelling is very much the beginning of text as we know it, and because it is so powerful, it has become the backgound and base for many games. It is the story in these games, that makes the player so involved and interested.

Posted by groo0018 at 8:25 PM

The Endless Surf

Well...the html piece of shit that I've been working on is finally done. I hated it, but loved it at the same time. If you would like to look at my piece of poop...go to:

True Stoke

Posted by groo0018 at 9:42 AM