Web Reading

One of the things I love the most about web-reading is the ease of nonlinear reading. According to Nielson, websites should use about half the word count online as in other contexts. Fortunately, most websites seem to follow this general rule - or, the information is broken into smaller sections. Information in this format is easier to skim and quickly read. Additionally, most websites incorporate bolding and easy to read text choices. While I am not always a nonlinear reader, I find that is most convenient.

I usually use nonlinear and linear reading in a combined fashion. Usually, while I am online, I am researching specific information. Before I truly read the text, I skim to find out if the website actually has the information I need. If I find this information, I will use a more focused linear method. I think this is a practice that many people enlist. It would be difficult to use only linear or only nonlinear reading for everyday online use.

You make a good point about Internet reading in particular: most of the time, people go to the Internet to search for different information (not to read for leisure--although I suppose there are some who would do that, too). When we search for information, we read differently. Your comments here about non-linear text and searching make abundant sense.

This page contains a single entry by gross451 published on February 22, 2010 1:13 AM.

Is the book here to stay? was the previous entry in this blog.

Health and Human Services Case Study is the next entry in this blog.