« Raul Castro named Cuba's next president | Main | State trooper's squad car hit in accident »

Coen brothers win best picture

Joel and Ethan Coen took home the Oscars' top honor Sunday night, winning the award for best picture, the BBC reported.

Javier Bardem also won best supporting actor for his role in the film, the BBC reported.

Bardem, from Spain, thanked the Coen brothers for being "crazy enough" to cast him, according to the BBC.

The Coen brothers, who also picked up best adapted screenplay, used their speech to thank the film industry for "allowing us to play in our corner of the sandbox," the BBC reported.

The ceremony gave awards to a number of others, the New York Times reported.

“Ratatouille,� a rodent’sview of the accessibility of cooking, won for best animated feature. Brad Bird, the film’s director, thanked his junior high school guidance counselor: “He asked me what I wanted to do with my life,� Mr. Bird recalled. “I said, ‘Make movies.’ He asked me what else I wanted to do with my life. And I said, ‘Make movies.’ � Mr. Bird said the doubt he faced was “perfect training� for a life in Hollywood, according to the Times.