« Bouncing tire on I-35W kills driver | Main | Two Minneapolis police officers asked to leave »

Pope leads mass at Yankee Stadium

Pope Benedict XVI celebrated the last mass of his visit to the United States Sunday at Yankee Stadium, the New York Times reported .
The mass was held in front of 60,000 people, the Times reported, and the pope used his homily to call for unity among Catholics in the U.S.
The pope reportedly garnered loud applause, the Times reported, with his statement against abortion, when he said the “unchanging truths� found in Jesus “alone can guarantee respect for the inalienable dignity and rights of each man, woman and child in our world, including the most defenseless of all human beings, the unborn child in the mother’s womb."
Those in attendance were amazed by the sight of Yankee Stadium dressed up for the pope, the Associated Press reported .

"I have never seen Yankee Stadium so beautiful, and I have season's tickets," Philip Giordano, 49, a tax attorney from Greenwich, Conn., told the AP. He won seats in a section behind home plate through a lottery at his church. "It sure beats sitting in my local church."

His wife Suzanne told the AP, "I'm hoping to feel something from (Benedict). Everyone who has seen him says they crumple, their knees buckle. You come away just feeling different."