Feedback, pos & neg

Ok, here are a few notes about feedback. The concept of feedback involves family members who monitor the "transformational processes and output to see if they are within acceptable standards." So, they way that parents monitor their children's behavior is a prime example.

Continue reading "Feedback, pos & neg"
Posted by gschache at 11:16 PM Define Terms

Notes on Change

These are rather disconnected notes on change taken from my readings for the semester. Use them as you dare!

Continue reading "Notes on Change"
Posted by mkellehe at 6:04 PM Define Terms

Entropy/Negentropy

We're talking 2nd Law of Thermodynamics here:

Take a closed, non-living system; this is a VERY important part of this. It must be closed (without energy exchange) and non-living. Okay, now let everything in the system move toward equilibrium.

Continue reading "Entropy/Negentropy"
Posted by mkellehe at 4:54 PM Define Terms

Dialectic

This will be interesting, considering that this is what YOU concentrated on!

Hegel defined dialectics as "Thesis + Antithesis = Synthesis". Good but WAY too simple!

Continue reading "Dialectic"
Posted by mkellehe at 4:45 PM Define Terms

Dialectic

Continue reading "Dialectic"

Isomorphism

Isomorphism means equivalence of form. It means that the elements and relationships of one system can be placed in one-to-one correspondence with the elements and relationships of another system.

Continue reading "Isomorphism"
Posted by mkellehe at 4:34 PM

Autopoiesis

Humberto Maturana (along with Francisco Varela) originated this idea because he was dissatisfied with the way living systems were being defined and he wanted to tease out the "living machines" which contribute to the invariance involved in natural selection.
The term autopoiesis is defined literally as "self" (auto) and "creation" or "production" (poiesis).

Continue reading "Autopoiesis"
Posted by gschache at 3:35 PM Define Terms

Some More Terms

Gregg, I always feel like such a slacker when I read your postings. But here are mine anyway, without your depth:

Continue reading "Some More Terms"
Posted by mkellehe at 1:39 PM Define Terms

Equifinality

Equifinality comes from the realm of nonlinear causation. Rather than thinking in linear fashion that one cause leads to one effect, nonlinear causation considers that an infinite number of causes may be at work to cause an effect. This is based on indeterministic processes. Equifinality posits that there may be different routes that lead to the same effect. In the words of Bavelas and Segal (1982, p. 103) equifinality is the ideas that "many beginnings can lead to the same outcome and the same beginning can lead to different outcomes." The word implies that final effects can stem from multiple or fairly "equal"" causes.

For example, overparenting and underparenting can lead to the same kind of underachievement in children. Most phenomena in family life do not follow a 1:1 cause-effect dynamic.

Another aspect is that one cause can lead to opposite effects in families. For instance, a parent who is a rigid disciplinarian could produce child who grows into an overly strict parent or one that is too permissive. Or a mother who struggles with alcoholism may produce a son or daughter who struggles with alcoholism or marries someone who does.

Posted by gschache at 11:03 AM Define Terms

subsystem / ecosystem dialectic

Jim,

I am finally "really" reading your paper on "The Geometry of Family Theory." I have a question about your fundamental dialectical principle that involves "the relationship between a system and its environment, through which each is consituted as both a subsystem and an ecosystem" (p. 5). You may recall that I was going to use Evangelical couples as my subject for creating a model. Well, I've altered that a bit. I want to consider interracial families, specifically, and I've broadened the institution to the Christian church in America, specifically churches that are identified as multiracial (this is more researchable & definitive; plus, I've found a typology of 4 different types of multiracial churches). Anyway, my challenge is trying to see both family and church as both subsystem and ecosystem to each other...

Continue reading "subsystem / ecosystem dialectic"
Posted by gschache at 4:32 PM Dialectics