How to find your "voice" aka area of passion/interest | Main | Try to post a citation for comment here...

Provocative Quotes...

I found this quote in a book aimed at social workers called "The Call of Service" by Robert Coles (1993). I'm curious if this grabs anyone like it did me? (no preface, I'll just get to the guts):
p. 33 "As he shared his concerns with us, I remember what I used to hear from William Carlos Williams in a similar vein. He once talked of the 'zeal' with which we 'take to labels of all kinds.' He explained, 'We crave certainty; we love to put a period at the end of a sentence, and that is that. But take a look at people, a real close look, and you'll find inconsistencies and contradictions--and that's where a closer look is needed, not a category or a definition that tells you, that reassures you: all right, you've got it!"

Posted by gschache at November 24, 2004 9:58 PM | Response to Quotes

Gregg, I liked this quote. It reminded me of something I heard once from a great anthropologist, Dorothy Lee. She was saying something about how we want to understand people...put them in a box or a category in our minds. She said essentially that she didn't want to be understood, she wanted to be listened to and to be recognized as someone that was constantly changing and there was always more. We'd save ourselves and others a lot of grief, I think, if we kept ourselves open to discovering and rediscovering them.

Posted by: Renee at December 1, 2004 3:36 PM

Gosh, Gregg, this quote really rocks!

Posted by: Gregg Schacher at November 24, 2004 10:53 PM