« Classes for Spring | Main | What are your commitments? »

How do you manage your time?

Since having a baby, I seem to have no time on my hands. Elbows deep in diapers, singing silly songs, and promoting sleep sessions (both his and mine) seems to leave me without studying time. I'm sure I'm not alone. Even if you don't have kids, I want to know how everybody manages to squeeze studying/research into their schedules. Do you plan out chunks of study time? Do you commit to stay at the school or library for a set amount of time? Do you shut the door at home and call a daily 3 hour timeout? OR WHAT????
What's your secret to managing your school commitment?

Posted by gschache at February 17, 2005 12:32 PM | Extracurricular Activities

Well….I think there are two answers to your question. First, in the time period you're in now the key is survival. Do what you can, when you can. There's no point in trying to "schedule" study time because it’s almost a guarantee that something unexpected will happen. Once kids get a little older the problem begins to become more of a finding balance thing like you've mentioned. To me it’s about priorities. My family is the most important aspect of my life so when I get home at 6 or 7 each night after being at school all day I'm done with school for a few hours no matter what. I play with my son, I watch a movie with my wife, etc To me that time I spend with my wife and son is something that school will never take priority over. Sure I might be able to do higher quality work or get more done if I kept working and yes I end up going back to the computer some nights at 1am if something needs to get done the next day but I try to make sure that my schooling never gets in the way of spending time with my family.

Posted by: Brian at February 23, 2005 11:44 AM