February 2005 | Main | April 2005

Advisor & Dissertation decision-making

A colleague who has been in FSoS for awhile blogs here. Check out his latest post (which I perturbed out of him) on Helpful Hints. He lists two great books that give ideas for getting the most out of a doctorate program, how to choose an advisor, and how to prepare for/write a dissertation. He's got it all figured out! (Those dang smart cohorts!)

Posted by gschache at 2:16 PM

The Effectiveness of African Ways

Hurray and thanks to Paul!!! I was (again) trying to find a way to grab some time with my frequently absent advisor, the Inimitable Doctor Doherty, while he was in a meeting with Brian. Then Paul suggested I try the traditional African way of rapping loudly on the door and pretending I didn't know anyone else was there (my usual modus operandi was to politely and quietly wait out of ear shot so I would not rudely disturb the conversation, hoping that I could jump in between the guest leaving and the next phone call/meeting/escape to Lori's). So I tried it, and it worked! Not only did it work, but Bill came looking for me upstairs when the meeting was over.

Any other new approaches you'd like to suggest, Paul?

Posted by mkellehe at 8:09 PM

contact info.

hi everyone :) It has come to my attention that it would be helpful to have everyone's contact information in case we need to call someone in our cohort for some reason. I thought I would post this here because a) it is a secure site and b) all the info will be in one place instead of on various pieces of paper that could easily get lost. So I will start...if you need to contact me, the best way is by my cell phone which is 763-350-3690 or my work phone at 952-881-9883.

Posted by htromble at 11:54 AM