May 2005 | Main

Fall Updates

This semester is a change of pace for me. I'm only taking one class (Qual. with Paul) and I'm taking 10 of my Masters Thesis credits. Naturally that's taking up the bulk of my time. I'm studying how sexual behavior influences attitudes about marriage and cohabitation in college students. As far as assistantships I'm 25% TA for 1101 which has been extremely fun but a lot of work and 25% RA for Bill on the Healthy Marriage Resource Center. I've also continued my ties with Project READY out of BYU. I've been trying desperately to start getting some publications out the door and I've got two that I'm working on drafts for. One is with Jodi here on how desire to marry it related to risk behaviors in college students and another is a conceptual piece with Jason Carroll from BYU on looking at emerging adulthood through the conceptual lens of marriage (we're hoping this will be the first of a series of 3 or 4 articles using the Project READY data). I've also got two posters awaiting acceptance for a conference next Spring. If I ever find time Im trying to put a fellowship application in to NIH and get a proposal together for teaching next summer.....oh yeah and my wife is having a baby any day now.

Posted by bwilloug at 11:07 AM

HELP, HELP, HELP!

Welcome back everyone! I'm starting us out with a request (no, not really ... more like a pleading) for help. If you are my friend or even sort of casually like me, read on . . .

I opened my big mouth last year and offered to do a FSoS 8200 seminar. It's set for 9/21 from 10:40 - 11:30 (before the obligatory colloquium.

The topic is Integrating Family and Personal Life with Graduate School. I've heard from my secret grapevine that this is a particularly anxious and pressured cohort, where many of them are returning students with current jobs they will be working while pursuing their degrees.

I'm planning a panel discussion with a question time. I've begun to approach certain people who have characteristics that I think would be good for the panel (i.e., single parent, employed during program, spouse, etc.). But what I need from ALL OF YOU is your learned wisdom about surviving the first year.

Respond back with 1-3 hints on survival, balancing your life, or even flourishing in the FSoS graduate environment. Keep them short and sweet. I will compile them for a handout for the 2005-06 cohort. And if I get REALLY creative, I might do it on slick paper with your photo, so it is more personal (Please let me know when you write if you want to be anonymous -- I'll assume that if you don't say anything, it's okay to identify you).

Thanks so much, and let's get a party going soon.

Posted by mkellehe at 5:50 PM