Category "Consumerism"

iTunes to blame for musical boredom?

It seems wholly insance, but true-iTunes breeds boredom. I'm not sure I can prove this, but I can slurp up a mouthful of anecdotes that meet the criteria, I think. I'll start with my own observation mere moments ago. While at my computer, I stole a look at several pile of CD's, perched in precarious Jenga-like mounds around my room. The CD's are still recovering from a volcanic surge of ripping that occurred once Tena and I had our first child. I had some extra time (note: I made some extra time) so that I could finally achieve the iTunes dream and have my entire CD collection stashed away on my computer and, subsequently, to my iPod. Well, I still have fully 1/4 of my collection to go, but I still have 9 days, 6 hours, 41 minutes and 37 seconds worth of musical deelight....And yet...

when I scan the titles of my discarded CD's leftovers, I am surprised that nothing seems inviting. Nothing. How bizarre...especially since I've been wanting the ability to play a CD without the hassle of lifting a finger (I at least have a 5 CD changer), but with iTunes I barely have to lift a finger and I can play any guitar riff of any song of any CD that I own...it's (almost) all there, just waiting for me. And yet, there is something stunningly boring about having that which I have always desired...

Rather than wonder about this lack of contentment, the strange thing is that my brain's response to this absurdity is to suggest a solution. Guess what kind of long-term, second-order permanent solution my brain conjured. Yup, you guessed it...buy more CD's. Well, that's about as much evidence as I need to see my 'greening' capitalist spirit within.

Contentment with life has got a chance...although IF I had that plasma TV I always wanted....

Posted by gschache at 10:31 PM | Consumerism