Cover Letter - Team Leader Application

Abel Gustafson
Editing II
Cover Letter

Dr. Hatcher,

I am writing to express my interest in a position as a Team Leader for a production team of Lake Voice - Duluth's Largest News Organization. I am confident that I am fully experienced and uniquely qualified to take on the duties and responsibilities of this position. I am the best person for the job because of my qualifications in two invaluable categories.

Experience - My journalism experience is equal to or greater than any other applicant, giving me the edge when making real-world decisions about a real-world news publication. Simply stated, I have either taken, or am currently enrolled in, every journalism course the University of Minnesota - Duluth offers. These classes not only have helped me amass knowledge of journalism theory and ethics, but also have provided countless hands-on hours of reporting, writing, and editing stories. My experiences as an intern and freelance writer for the Duluth Budgeteer have also given me extensive opportunity to develop and publish my journalism skills in the professional environment of a newspaper that serves a circulation of 50,000. My education in the parallel field of Communication also has cultivated my knowledge and skills as an interpersonal communicator, problem solver, social scientist, and conflict manager.

Character - This is an essential component of a leadership candidate. I am already a leader both in the classroom and outside of it, as demonstrated by my academic success and my involvement and leadership roles in various extracurricular activities and programs here at UMD. I believe that my peers respect me. More importantly, I respect my peers. I believe that these production teams are just that - teams - where each member is as important as the next.

My experience and leadership character make me the best candidate for the job of Team Leader of a production team of Lake Voice. My resume and samples of my work are available online at http://blog.lib.umn.edu/gusta537/myblog/.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments.

Regards,

Abel Gustafson
University of Minnesota - Duluth
Class of 2011
Communication, Journalism

Cover Letter - Team Leader Application
Abel Gustafson Editing II Cover Letter Dr. Hatcher, I am writing to express my interest in a position as a…
If you build it, they will come
Below are the two halves of a story about the new Duluth skate park, published in the Duluth Budgeteer. View…
Memory of Park Point legend outlasts sands of time
Duluth Community News: Memory of Park Point legend outlasts sands of time by Abel Gustafson This is a longer feature…