GWSS Spring 2011 Colloquium Requirements
Graduate students enrolled in GWSS 8997 are required to be active participants in the GWSS Colloquium Series. We also invite other grad students and faculty to attend the GWSS Colloquium Series and participate in post-presentation blog discussions.
(1) Attendance and verbal participation - such as asking questions -- at the GWSS colloquia.
(2) Blog commentaries on four of the colloquium presentations, posted as entries on our GWSS Community blog (http://blog.lib.umn.edu/gwss/blog) within 48 hours of the presentation. Use your blog response entry (150-300 words) to pose a question or set of questions about the presentation, to write about what you found interesting, novel, or useful, and/or to pose a critique. To invite dialogue, we encourage you to comment on the response entries that others have posted. You are welcome to respond to more than four colloquium presentations.
Your grade will be determined by the quality of your blog responses and your level of participation and engagement at the colloquium presentation and in the blog discussions.
Take care to ensure that you are available for the GWSS colloquia you plan to attend to fulfill the requirements of the course. Other outside lectures, presentations, or internal professional development workshops do not count toward colloquium credit. However, we strongly encourage you to list these in your annual graduate student evaluation at the end of Spring semester.
How to Post Required Blog Response Entries
In order to post blog entries, you must log in through UThink. The directions are as follows:
- Go to Uthink: http://blog.lib.umn.edu
- Click on "Login to UThink" located in the upper left corner (under About UThink) and enter your x500 + password.
- You should now be at the Dashboard. Click on the link for our blog, "GWSS Community Blog".
- Now you are ready to post an entry. Scroll over "Create" located in the upper left corner and then click on "Entry."
- You should now be on the "Create Entry" page. Type your response in the main text box. Make sure to file your entry under the appropriate category by clicking the box for "RESPONSE" located under "Categories" on the lower right side of the page.
- Once you are done typing your entry (and after clicking on the appropriate category box), click the blue "Save" button located at the bottom of the page. You're done!
How to Post Optional Comments
You can post comments on blog entries directly on the GWSS public blog site. The directions are as follows:
- Go to the blog: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/gwss/blog
- Find the entry that you wish to comment on and click the title.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the entry and enter your name and email address.
- Type in your comment.
- Click on "Submit." If you have any questions about how to use the blog, please contact Sara Puotinen (email@example.com).