Three days left!

As I'm studying for finals and writing my last papers I can't believe it's almost over!

I can't even begin to sum up what I've learned this past month, I will write more when I get home and have a chance to process through everything a little more. I think I realized the last few days, how much I just expected to come here and study spanish. Although my Spanish has improved tremendously, I am no longer afraid to start random conversations with anyone who will listen! But I have learned so much more. We have seen SO much of Spain. This weekend we headed south to Seville and Granada which are both centers of Spanish culture.

We visited the Alhombra in Granada which was the last moorish outpost in Spain that was conquered by the Reyes Catolicos (Catholic Kings) in 1492. Later Napoleon used it as a fortress when he invaded Spain and Franco also used the fortress as one of his bases during the Spanish Civil war. The area was BEAUTIFUL and it was difficult to believe that so many people had used it during so many times of war. THe gardens were spectacular and meticulous on every level. It is so encouraging to see how much Spaniards know and remember from their history. Everyone can tell you endless details about the history as well as the literature and culture of their country. It makes me more interested in where my family has come from and the history of my region.

All this to say, I love Spain! And I can't believe I have to leave...but at the same time I can't wait to see my family and friends.

This page contains a single entry by haavi008 published on July 27, 2010 5:09 PM.

Time passes so quickly! was the previous entry in this blog.