« ByDesign, Mankato | Main | Green Man Images »

Healing With Design

I chose to read a second article abour healing with design because it is an area I am really interested about. This article by Chase Rogers gives a summary about the healing effects light, electromagnetism and color have on the body. He feels that if a designer can successfully harness these areas in their design it could be the most responsible things a designer can do. He introduces energy as the link between mind, body and soul and says this relationship between our body and it's environment can have dramatic effects on our overall health. Bioentrainment is a term that is given to designers who can effect these vibrations to help the body coexist and thrive in it's environment. This concept is used in music as well. Music entrainment has been shown to improve the listener's mood by promoting livliness or serenity. Light is also a huge factor in mood. Rogers brought up a study that proved changing the light in classrooms from flourescent to broad spectrum decreased ADD, and increased learning, memory retention, and optimism. Color, of course, is another factor in mood and health. Many studies have shown how mood can alter mental health and reasoning so it is important as a designer to be able to harness this knowledge to improve the health of those we design for. One interesting statistic Rogers gave was that when England changed the color of thier bridges from black to blue, suicide attempts decreased by 50 percent! Rogers concluded the article by reminding us that illness is not only caused by bacteria and germs but also by unhealthy ways of relating ourselves to the environment.
Personally I do agree with a lot of what Rogers is saying here but some does seem a bit far out. I think his facts about changing the light in the classroom and such were helpful ways to relate this area to the reader but he could have used a bit more. What I think has been concretely proven is that color can have a great efffect on the consumer and therefore it is important as a designer to be able to address those effects in our design.

online directory main