#6

So this week (Assignment #6) I had to first eliminate five ideas based off of market research. The survey was then posted on my Facebook page where I had a picture of text for each object and a hand drawn picture to go with it. Here is an example of two pictures from my survey

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

I did something similar for all ten objects and in my first slide asked people to comment below on what price they would pay for each of the ten objects.
Now before I go into the results I want to point out a few flaws with the way I conducted my survey.

-First when people can see the prices that other people would be willing to pay for an object this probably biases how much they themselves are willing to pay. Next time I should tell people to private message me their answers or use a private method of conducting surveys.

-Second some of the objects that I thought were the best did not make it to my top five which is somewhat disheartening. I may simply be attached to my ideas, but I do think that I failed to sell the ideas in my survey. Some of the ideas I liked the most were giant blocks of texts in the survey either because I was too excited to describe them or I had failed to really extrapolate on what the object was really about. In that sense I think for a few of my objects I failed to articulate the essence of the idea and got bogged down in details, of course I also might simply be too "in love" with my own creations, so nonetheless I'm letting them go.

-Third I didn't target my audience very well. The problem was that these are family gathering objects and so I think I should have focused more emphasis on surveying parents (since they are the most likely audience to purchase these products), although responses from younger people is still valuable since they are part of the family too.
Before I narrow down the list here is the overview of the ten I came in with (To save time and space I will only be posting pictures of the ones I selected later on)

1. Sound Cubes-You can record sounds, place them on the mat with other sounds that other family members made and rearrange them to make unique songs.

2. Family cookbook app-family recipes are on the cloud and can be downloaded on phones. Recipe as well as cultural background and family stories are included with the food.

3. Blast from the past- card game to pick out old memories around the house and share them on Christmas.

4. Time capsule- Stories, ideas, pictures, videos, and music are all stored on this device and shared on a weekly basis. Family members can respond to stories by writing their thoughts or asking questions and continue a dialog. Then during a major holiday families review the time capsule. It's basically a fun and neat way to capture family dialog in a scrap book without the pain of making it yourself or having to keep track of it. The computer organizes things based on patterns like facial recognition, commonly used words, date posted etc.

5. Table game cover. A cover that goes on the table meant to act as a way of keeping conversations lively and keep families at the dinner table even after all the food is finished.

6. Modular table. Individual one person components are rearrange-able. More space efficient, table can be tucked away so that more family space is afforded.

7. Storyteller- gives random prompts(if desired) and contains a voice recorder. Family members (Grandparents especially) can tell their stories and have them recorded. The object also act as a way to signal who is speaking and give said person a center stage.

8. Drawfreak- Small hand sized tablets that can be used for a multitude of family games. The tablets can also assemble together into one larger tablet so that families can admire everybody's work at once.

9. Creative juices- Family members write down their goals for the year on New Year's and proceed to generate ideas as to how to attain those goals. This card game is essentially the brainstorming facilitator. It gives out tips for brainstorming and offers strategies like brute think and the like, also comes with a playful timer button to make sure all family members get a chance to have their goals be brainstormed.

10. Family timeline- Family members can share pictures, major events, on their own timeline or a family member's timeline. Voice memos can be recorded too(like a journal). These timelines are loaded onto the cloud and can be seen on any family member's family timeline app. They can click to listen to their thoughts even if they are far away or don't have time to make a call. I'm not quite sure how to make it particularly winter themed.

Now I had a lot of trouble narrowing down the last few objects based on market survey analysis but here is how far I got

1. Sound cubes-by far the most popular, Got responses of $15-$40 dollars a set (a mat and three cubes). Everyone responded to this.

Slide3.JPG

2. Table top cover game- For the responses I did get I received $5-20, almost as many people responded as with the sound cubes.

Slide13.JPG

3. Blast from the past- answers ranging from $1-20. The two adults however were willing to pay much higher than the younger folks. Since cards aren't hard to manufacture most production costs would go into designing the game to be fun and keeping it memorable over holidays, not easy but still seemed feasible and I feel like older folks definitely have some great memories to share.

Slide7.JPG

4. DrawFreak- this one was hard to position. There was definitely interest for a cheap tablet that everyone could doodle on or play games on. I got prices ranging from $15-$100. I think a basic game tablet for the family would be do-able but what's stopping people from just downloading a drawing app onto their iphone or tablet since they're almost ubiquitous?

Slide19.JPG

5. Creative Juices- Price ranges from$2-15. About $7 on average. Material costs sound very cheap, once again it's about making it fun, I think streamlining brainstorming ideas has great value and creative fun potential.

Slide21.JPG

6. Modular Table- I added this one because I felt like it was too close to be eliminated. People were willing to pay from $20-250. I think there was a bit of a miscommunication because I don't think there are any even half decent tables available for only $20, I think some people meant to say that each component of the table was $20 and assuming a regular table can host 6 people I assumed the price was $120. Going on this assumption I am sticking with this idea until I do more cost analysis.

Slide15.JPG

1. Here is a list of some of the objects I used the matrix below
-Munchkin Mozart Magic Cube $25,
-Imaginarium Wooden Circular Musical Activity Table($40),
-Musical Slices Of Fun Table MSRP: $329.99,
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactable (Mobile version $10), $2000 to rent a reactable for a month,
-PS3 Guitar Hero 5 Guitar Bundle $160 for a bundle

Slide1.JPG

Slide2-2.JPG

Above I have two matrices I made for products related to sound cubes. One is called the reactable the thing that actually partly inspired me to begin with. With the sound cubes I am hoping to aim for an area where both young and old people are encouraged to interact, guitar hero does this well but doesn't really offer any freedom to make music. The reactable mobile game seemed like the closest object in that it offered lots of freedom and was affordable and as a bonus had a community to share songs. What was missing was that multiple person interaction that had left me and my Dad with even greater impressions when using the reactable in the Chicago Museum of Science. Unfortunately, the tables themselves are incredibly expensive. The kids toy offered more affordability and some creativity but weren't appealing to older kids or adults.

Market: Appeal to wider range of ages. Make affordable (below $100). Allow for lots of creativity and make it a group activity.

Cost analysis: To significantly lower costs the mat could be able to display its reading on a computer monitor or TV. There is also talk about being able to turn many surfaces into touch screen interfaces using vibrations. In this case using the mat could simply track where cubes are process data and display the interactions on screen as well as the sound. Or the mat could be removed and each individual cube could provide data to a central processor that could keep track of distance between cubes and determine what sound they should make.

I don't know how much it would cost to create hardware that could handle the programs that keep track of the cubes and run complex algorithms but the cubes and mat could act as physical interfaces for say a tablet, smartphone, or computer to process. Basically the product is a controller and the software can run on anything from a mobile device to a console. In which case costs are devoted to the controller costs and software costs.

Fancy controllers like guitar hero guitar, playstation move, Kinect, rock band drum set cost from $30-120. Since these controllers are fairly basic I'm going to guess $40 to produce a set of sound cubes.

Related Patent searches: Interactive music software
https://www.google.com/patents/CN2724779Y?cl=en&dq=music+games&hl=en&sa=X&ei=CEmfUpGRBemwyQG494DwAw&sqi=2&pjf=1&ved=0CE4Q6AEwAw

https://www.google.com/patents/WO2005114648A1?cl=en&dq=music+games&hl=en&sa=X&ei=CEmfUpGRBemwyQG494DwAw&sqi=2&pjf=1&ved=0CHoQ6AEwCQ

2. Items on the matrix
-Linen Table cloth 60 x 126-Inch Rectangular Polyester Tablecloth $10
-Benson Mills Gourmet Spillproof Heavyweight Fabric Tablecloth $17
-Jumbo Checker Rug Game $13
-Da Vinci 2-Sided 36-Inch x 72-Inch Texas Holdem & Blackjack Casino Felt Layout $17
-Ticket To Ride $35
-Settlers of Catan $40

Slide3-2.JPG

I'm sure there are some examples out there but in general there aren't that many deeply compelling games that are cheap, which is fine after all that's why they cost more. A solid game that can be used as a table cloth has a lot of playability because it's always out, even higher quality cloth doesn't appear very expensive either. There were hardly any games that combined these components, any games that did were remakes of old games like checkers and poker, but there was nothing original in the same way that Ticket to Ride or Settler of Catan are.

For a good game people would be willing to pay up to $30. If I want to take advantage of the market I could go for something in the range of $15 dollars to make it really competitive and not just for board game enthusiasts.

3. & 5. I'm grouping these two together because they're the same principal. A card game with a possible electric component(a timer) and possibly an app.
Items on the matrix
-Cards agains humanity $25
-Catch phrase $30
-Uno $5
-Big Book of Brainstorming Games $20
-Thinkpak: A Brainstorming Card Deck $15

Slide4-2.JPG

So as you can see the high tech games are dominated by mobile apps but one thing I did leave out was face to face interaction. Lots of hi tech games aren't there to enhance human to human interactions. So why not use technology to better enhance real world games? Catch phrase is just the beginning of how this tech can enhance face to face interactions, video games that allow split screen gameplay as well.

So why not make a card game that somehow takes advantage of all the mobile technology? Even something as simple as keeping track of winners of previous games

Cost analysis: cards range from $5-$30 and apps usually cost 99 cents to $10.
For a high end card game with technology implemented in it I can see it costing $10-$20 with a downloadable app included when buying the cards.

Related patents:

4. Drawfreak
Items on the matrix:
Venpad $40
Wacom 6x4" $90
Cintiq $2000
Vis tablet $70 10x6
Bamboo pad $80

Slide5-2.JPG

As the matrix indicates there aren't many tablets that are large and cheap, and for the price range and size I am looking for none. This could be due to the fact that these tablets have good pressure sensitivity (500+levels). This allows people to vary brush stroke width and intensity while drawing. Unfortunately I didn't specify a tablet size in my survey (another flaw I regret). With these prices in mind I think two markets emerge.

The first is the casual consumer base. Large tablets with a low amount of pressure sensitive levels that could be broken into smaller tablets so more people can play games and draw. To stay within the causal range the costs would probably mean starting under $120. It's possible that with very low sensitivity this is possible but I am baffled as to how to even guess.

Second market. As I researched I remembered the lack of possibility to collaborate with other digital artists. Very few tools allow digital artists to do collaboration work on the same canvas. There are some online programs that allow for this but a game program or a plug-in that would allow for say two or more users to connect their computer together (wireless or LAN) and draw together with high depth programs like Photoshop or paint tool sai sounds like an untapped market that needs further research. That being said programs cost from being free up to $600 giving a wide range of possibility. Knowing there are open source programs like GIMP out there and Photoshop I think it's quite feasible to make what is in essence a higher fidelity online drawing canvas for $80 assuming it's a standalone program.

Pressure sensitivity patent
https://www.google.com/patents/EP1256902A1?cl=en&dq=graphics+tablet&hl=en&sa=X&ei=B0ufUtqXKqSayQG7poDQBg&ved=0CEcQ6AEwAg

7. Modular table
Items on the matrix:
Meco $40
Cappuccino Rectangular Dining Table 180
Fractal Nicholas Karlovasitis & Sarah Gibson $ 1,950.00
Applaro $400
Agam chair $40
Lacko outdoor set $100

Slide6-2.JPG

From taking the price of a table divided by how many people sat by it, it seemed like each person had to pay $30-60 for one space at a table. With that in mind the question is for this same cost can we produce a modular table (with legs, easy to maneuver, and possibly a mechanism to more firmly attach modular pieces together). I found the Meco table was for $30 to $40 for space of 3'x3' with fold out legs. Using the same material but making six of them would only cost $180 to $300. Designing the tables in a structurally sound manner that look as cool and are as modular as the fractal table (in the upper right side of the matrix) could be pretty competitive product since there are none like its kind under the $1000 price
Modular table legs patent
https://www.google.com/patents/US8550015?dq=modular+table&hl=en&sa=X&ei=RUufUsHlKOaNygH3poGADA&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAA

Overall I think you did a pretty good job with this post. I appreciated how you explained your products so well and thought you did an especially good job creating your 2x2's. As far as constructive criticism goes, I felt as though the narrative was a bit scattered. If I were you, for the last post, I would make sure to segment some of your ideas into sections to make your "story" a little easier to follow. Also, a short description of the patent that you found for each product could have been beneficial to your readers. It makes it easier to understand how the patent relates to your product, from your perspective. Good luck with your final post and I look forward to seeing which product you end up pursuing!

I think you did a great job with the 2x2's, patents, and feasibility! #2 doesn't seem to have a title in that section, though.

I wish you would have done a more formal survey! As you discussed, seeing each other's opinions can have a huge affect on future responses. Plus, if you haven't done it before, setting up a survey someplace like survey monkey is a great skill to learn! But it was nice to see that you recognized this issue, even if you still used the method.

Finally, in the future, I might group by parts of the assignment, rather than by product, ie. patent search for all five, then feasibility for all five, etc.