The Last Assignment

So I started off this last assignment with a phu chart to help me narrow down to a final product to present. Below I have a picture of the phu chart and listed 7 criteria to help me narrow down. Here are the seven criteria.
1.Will if bond family in a way I originally set out to do?
2.Will the product be memorable and be used for a long period of time?
3.Is it feasible to produce?
4.Does it stand out in the market?
5.does it encourage creativity?
6.Is it fun for kids and appealing for kids to buy? (will they both like to play?)
7.Is there a strong potential market?
phu chart01.jpg

So my initial gut idea was the sound cubes(not the final name and I'll explain them later) and the phu chart helped confirmed that I should go forward with this idea. So the next step was coming up with a better name forsand cubes than well sound cubes. I had a friend from the creativity class Dan Rezekulov brainstorm names for the product(and some cool logos too!). Below are some sketches.

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

Dan had a great idea coming up with OP its simple and I love it. since this is music Op-amps are often used in speaker circuitry, also OP could stand for opportunity. From here I drew my final sketches which included a logo consisting of the OP made out of a voltage supply and eighth note.

final sketch.jpg

I won't describe the product in text until after the video to test if you got the gist of the product in 30 seconds so you can give me feedback. And yes I did it in an elevator...thanks to Dan for recording me!

35seconds elevator pitch.mp4

So to clarify my product is made out of OP-cubes and OP-mats. You record sounds onto OP-cubes and place them on OP-mats. You can change tempo, volume, and the interaction of different cubes with the cubes(basically electronic effects like altering the frequency, cutting off certain sounds or adding onto them). Changing the distance between cubes or layout also effects the composition of the music(hence why the mat is needed). It's a multiplayer, interactive, fun game in which you improv new pieces of music which you can later save. To make it more intuitive, visceral, and cheaper the mat and cubes essentially act as controls. The game itself is downloaded on a computer, game console, or mobile device where the bulk of the calculations are done, how the game is displayed(TV or computer monitor), and where most of the sound comes from(home speakers, mobile speakers). I am estimating a set of one mat and three cubes to cost $60-$80, which may seem pricey but are less expensive then controls like rockband and kinect. I see great potentially for it to bond families at family gatherings and events and make all generations look forward to family gatherings because this game not only brings the fun into family gatherings but uses technology to make music a social interaction/cooperative experience again.

Hi Jan,

I like that you included the question about creativity into your Pugh chart. More legible titles for your columns in it would make it easier to read the chart.

Love the name OP! Have you done any research on its availability?

I like the way you look on the pitch video, you sound jazzed-up and interested in your idea, you give a feel of what your idea is by the Chicago science museum example. And though I saw the pitch you did in class today, I think you explained it pretty well in the video. Good job!

I think it's the mat that confuses me. More detail/visual guides for how it works/where things can be placed when used/how it operates (empirically). The concept might be clear to you, but it comes off fairly ambiguous to me. It seems like it must cycle through the cubes like a radar somehow?

Perhaps this could be done similarly by a square or rectangular mat that you can place the cubes with the recorded sound in. Or it could even be a smaller, tabletop thing. The cubes could be inserted at the end of the mat to go with a row. Each row could have a set of squares down it that you can activate and deactivate. Each row would then be set to a tempo and cycle down the activated and deactivated squares. This way the cubes would be used to capture sounds from your mouth or the environment just to store them. The mat or board or whatnot would be how these sounds are manipulated in an easily controlled and intuitive way. Each family member could contribute a sound and control a row if you want to emphasize that aspect when marketing...This whole thing could also be accomplished in an app that might have an interface as described where you can click and record on a cube using the phones built in mic.

Do let me know if you end up wanting to pursue this idea in the form described above, as I have other thoughts that might be helpful.

Right off the bat there are some typos that really distract from your post ("phu chart" especially). This combined with starting most paragraphs with "so" makes the post feel a little less well designed. But this is nitpicky stuff.

I like that you walked us through your process, especially the name development. This helps give your development a narrative, which I think might be helpful in design pitching and marketing.

I, too, am a bit confused by your concept. Touch interactivity is something that is becoming more common, and I think similar things have been done on Microsoft's PixelSense. However, your product seems to need too many external connections. Most people's computer, table, and TV are in completely different rooms of the house, so I feel you might be better off making it either all-in-one or ditching some components. The judges seemed similarly confused by the product, so I think you might have been better served by nailing down the function of each component - what exactly do the cubes do?

Nonetheless, a fun concept and one that we'll probably see in the near future!