My (not so) Insider Sources

Howdy everybody.

I prowl a few sources for tech news, but not many dedicated to academic technology in higher ed, which is looking like a trend.

Of the sources I'll list here, the ones I think warrant the most attention are CNet, Webware, and Profhacker.

Here are the feeds that get most of my eye-ball time:

CNet News (news.cnet.com)
A pretty main stream collection of what's jiving in the tech industry, but it's normally a second tier source, commenting on breaking news from other places around the net. This is by far my most relied apron source.

Webware (news.cnet.com/webware)
A subdivision of CNet that focus exclusively on the web and cloud computing.

iPhone Atlas (reviews.cnet.com/iphone-atlas) and Android Atlas (reviews.cnet.com/android-atlas)
Two more sources associated with CNet, but these are focused exclusively on iOS and Android. Good info, but also not a source for breaking news, per se.

The Open Road (news.cnet.com/openroad)
Yet another CNet associated source, this one focusing on open source trends. Sometimes a little less relevant to what I'm doing than others I follow, but still pretty interesting.

Mashable (mashable.com)
A site about emerging and colliding technologies and culture. I really only follow the social media wing, mashable.com/social-media.

Lifehacker (lifehacker.com)
Like Tanya, I also enjoy this resource for its breath of topics and ideas. More about technology in everyday life, but a good source for feeling out the tech zeitgeist of the moment.

Profhacker (chronicle.com/blogs/profhacker)
I haven't been following this one for too long - had it recommended to me in one of my recent classes - but it looks very similar to Lifehacker, except with a focus on higher ed instead of general day-to-day life. Some interesting stuff.

Gizmodo (gizmodo.com) and Endgadget (engadget.com)
Tanya has these as well. Very gadget focused. I don't turn to them all that often, but when a big gadget announcement is on the way or has just happened, I check them out for their analysis and opinions.

A List Apart (alistapart.com)
A fantastic site on web design and development. It's a very approachable resource for novices, but covers current topics in enough depth to be useful for even experts at web tech.

Technorati (technorati.com)
A blog aggregator of sorts. I don't follow these guys either, but every now and then I go to see what's new and what emerging blogs I may want to pay some attention to.

I also follow many of these and others on Twitter all wrapped up with a bow in a list that itself be followed: http://twitter.com/#!/pjhaggerty/tech-news

So, thems be it.

Oh, forgot one (also a relative n00b to my list):

HackCollege (http://www.hackcollege.com/) - another Lifehacker-like site, but with a focus on college undergrads.