Showcase Makeover Final Project

displaycase.jpg

The Showcase Makeover Project

For our final project we had to redesign a showcase display box around school. Rachael and I got picked to redeisgn the School of Fine Arts case.

Name:Brandon Hagstrom
teammate: Rachael Lybeck

Client: Char Love of the School of Fine Arts

Problem: To create a design for the Sieur Du Luth Summer Arts Festival presented by the School Of Fine Arts

Ideation: I first thought about the departments and the first image or thought to come. But then we changed directions to the Festival, and I started thinking summer and objects related to summer. We also played off the Do. campaigns that are around and the ipod ads. We tried adding an element of suprise to the posters by adding in a different color into it, catching your eye as you look from poster to poster. The solid color background was fairly bland, so we broke it up with a bunch of little color squares.

Working with our client: After working with Char a little bit, a summer theme was established.
It definitely was a good experience, working with a client and how it is hard to establish what they want as a design. We started off with two drafts, one formal and boring, and one way informal and i guess cheesy, just so we could get her to tell what she wants. We were initially going to do the whole department, but narrowed it down to the Sieur Du Luth Summer Arts Festival that was going on this summer.

The two ideas:
1. to have five different posters, each a symbol from summer, and bold colors, then the info could go around it, also having a giant picture of sieur du luth.

2. to only have three giant posters for each month, and on each poster to have a silouhette of sieur du luth in each poster doing something summer related. Using very bold colors like green, orange, and blue. Green being a connection to the summer lawn, orange being the the hot sun, blue being the lake. We also came up with the idea to add pictures in realting to the arts and also around duluth and the nature scene to add some photography.

Issues with plans and materials:
Well some issues were the budget, but thats just because the UMD print shop was way too expensive, then when we tried in the visual imaging lab, the files were incompatible, but in the end everything came out nice and I am very satisfied with the outcome keeping in mind the roughly two weeks give or take we had to start and finish.

Magazine spread/p. 1 and 2

Picture 3.jpg

Magazine spread/p. 3 and 4

Picture 2.jpg

Life is a Dream Poster

LIAD.jpg

Magazine spread assignment

So after a long awaited third project, we finally got to design a magazine spread. We were suppose to go on the Aiga Voice site and pick an article out to design a layout for. I looked and looked and decided on Beneath the surface: Iran's Graphic Design Evolution. I saw it best fits right now because of the situation going on between Iran and us, and its cool to see their art and design because we normally do not get those sort of things here. I dipped into some websites and found pretty neat site about not only irans design, but all around the world. The first one, the Graphic Imperative is posters about social justice and peace. These ones are awesome! I highly suggest. The second site I posted is a little site for some of the top designers in Iran, and they are all high res images which is excellent.

The graphic imperative www.thegraphicimperative.org

http://www.ville-chaumont.fr/cri-persan/index.html

P.s. once I figure out this damn Html I'll get them linked.

Theater Poster

For our second assignment, Joellyn asked us to design posters for the upcoming theater season at UMD, 2006/2007. I was given the play, Life is a dream. After researching quite a bit, this is what I found: The setting is set way back in the 16, 17th century Poland, where the king at the time banishes his son away to a prison tower far away from anything because he was told by the stars that his son would be a tyrant ruler, which turned out to be true. So the prince is sent away and brought back every now and then and sent away again. Every time he comes back he tells his story of being in the prison tower chained up and surrounded by guards. Everyone who hears of this story is told to tell him that it is just a dream. He soons finds out why he is imprisoned and is set to change his way and become a good ruler.

My whole concept of this poster is to show the dark somber feeling of the plays main body. The title is intertwinded of dark blue and white to represent the in and out of prison and reality. It is a simple piece and could be more poetic, but I just got stuck on what else to do with it. All suggestions are welcome.

Film Series Poster Wall display

This is just an image that Topher kindly took a picture of for us. It is really cool to see what the series as a whole looks like.
walldisplay.jpg

uwe..the unsung poster you would of never seen...til now...

cnc2rough1.29.jpg

This is my poster for the whole series for the Culinary and Cultural film series 2006.

Culinary and Cultural series poster

thecook.jpg

Film series poster

For our first assignment, we were asked to design posters for the Department of Foreign Languages and Literature's Spring 2006 film series. There were 5 posters total, and I designed the poster for The Cook, the thief, his wife, and her lover.