hamlet vs oedipus

I have chose to compare hamlet and oedipus. I feel that these two plays are very similar. These plays are both tragic. One involves more tragedy than the other and that would be hamlet. Now to compare and contrast the two: Hamlet is very serious. There are many ambiguities brought into the play. For example at the end of the play there is still question to whether justice has been achieved or not. To me this play in a way represents the difficulty of living in the world that he was in. The rising and falling action are similar in the way of whats occuring......to me it was a similar situation. Hamlet needs to decide whether or not to listent to the gohst to revenge his murder.....and falling action.....being sent to England......in Oedipus the rising and falling action......although there were many....Oedipus refuses to believe that he is responsible for the plaque......and falling action.......the oracle notifies Creon that the plaque will end with the death of Laius......so as you can see they are similar.........a difference that i found quite intruiging was the settings......in oedipus it was magnitude- the unity of action or in one place.....in hamlet.......fragmentary action- multiple places......also in Oedipus the source was myth and in hamlet it was medieval liturature.......in Oedipus there was a purpose and in hamlet it was entertainment........so as you can see there are many similarites but differences too.......I chose these two plays because they dialogued with eachother.......they signify tragedy and approach it in similar and different ways as explained before. There are many more things to compare and contrast but too many to even name.......thats why it was so great to chose these plays.

Posted by hahn0110 at February 8, 2005 11:43 PM