Wrap up

I really found this course interesting and I hope to be able to put some applications in to practice in our region. Thanks!!

UMConnect

I have attended several UMConnect meetings, and one was on how to create your own UMConnect meeting. I thought it was very straight forward and easy to do. I think this would be a wonderful tool to use in our region for another option for meetings. I think it would be great in during a few of the winter months so that NEAs do not have to travel so far to get together for a face to face meeting.

Twitter

I used to instant message a lot when I was in college but over the last 5+ years I, and those that I IMed with have gotten away from it. As for how it would apply to the organization that I am in it could be something that we could do in our region to increase connectiveness. I think some people would get into it. Text messaging, I can't get into. I think it has decreased the ability of most 20 somethings to have a conversation. Pick up the phone. Sorry it is an irritant. But that is just me. Twittering...I enjoyed the aritcle of how to use it in academia. I'm not sure that I see a use in the NEP program right now.

MySpace

I recently set up a MySpace page. I do like it as I can stay in touch with friends that way. I have not used a site for professional networking but I can see myself doing that in the future. The study that was done should really be an eye opener for the NEP program because the low income audience is our target population and I think there has been a resistance to going for more technology because people may not be using it or have access to it. In the future that might be an option to have a MySpace or FaceBook nutrition education page.

GoogleDocs

I love it. I wish I would have known about it 2 years ago when I was working on my Masters Thesis. It would have been perfect for my advisor and committe to be able to revise and give suggestions on one document. I have all Grad Students know about this.

I don't think I would use the list websites. I like the task options on our UMCal.

Wiki

I went to the Wetpaint site and really enjoyed the video about the scooter Wiki. I recently just set up a web page for my family and I'm wondering if a Wiki would have been better. That way I could invite my extended family and it could include pictures and comments form them.

Personally it sometimes becomes overwhelming. To have more "things" you have to check and keep up with. I talked to my staff about doing a blog for our region. Most of them are just getting used to the portal that we have and I think more for them would be overwhelming and they wouldn't use it. Sometime too much technology is a bad thing.

Pod Casts

I wish this would have been popular when I was going doing my undergrad. I just finished my Masters and most of my lessons included a pod cast. It was great because it was always there for a review. I'm a big Garage Logic fan and I have listened to their show through a pod cast.

Images and Video

This is an area that I feel comfortable with in technology. I do not have a flickr account but I do have a photobucket, snapfish, and a few other randoms. I do like that you can edit and the other options like mapping. I do wish it had a way for you to order prints like the other sites have, but maybe it does and I just didn't find it.

RSS

I think this week went fine. I can see this as a useful tool to stay up to date on current information but I'm not sure I will use this tool immediatly.

I'm blogging!!

I think this will be a fun tool to communicate with those that I supervise. I could post updates, daily happenings and it would allow a place for a fluid discussion between everyone in the region.