« Sex and Politics | Main | Many McDonald's in Venezuela Temporarily Closed »

Powell Endorses Obama

Barack Obama received the support and backing of a well-known and respect American political figure – Mr. Colin Powell. This endorsement occurred Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press? television program according to The New York Times and the Pioneer Press.

Powell, also a Republican, didn’t endorse Obama without some feeling of letting fellow Republican presidential nominee and friend John McCain down.

“It isn’t easy for me to disappoint Sen. McCain in the way that I have this morning, and I regret that,? Powell said. (Pioneer Press)

Powell spoke of Obama’s leadership as something that bridges the ages of people.

“I think we need a transformational figure. I think we need a president who is a generational change and that's why I'm supporting Barack Obama, not out of any lack of respect or admiration for Sen. John McCain,? Powell said. (Pioneer Press)

Powell also mentioned his distaste for McCain’s increasing negative attacks on Obama in the recent months. He especially disproved of McCain’s attacks on Obama’s link, weak link though it be, to William Ayers, a 1960s radical.

“I thought that was over the top,? Mr. Powell told reporters. “It was beyond just good political fighting back and forth.? (The New York Times)

The New York Times reported that it unsure whether or not Powell would help campaign with Obama. But the Pioneer Press said Powell would not be campaigning for him.

Powell, also a black man, said race had nothing to do with his decision. (Pioneer Press).

McCain did not appear to be upset by Powell’s endorsement saying he was “endorsed by four other former secretaries of state, all veterans of Republican administrations: Henry Kissinger, James A. Baker III, Lawrence Eagleburger and Alexander Haig.? (Pioneer Press).

Obama told Powell in a call Sunday morning after the endorsement that he was honored for his support and looked forward to his advise is coming two weeks and hopefully next four years said Robert Gibbs, a senior adviser to Mr. Obama the New York Times reports.