« A Marriage over the Web | Main | Chimps observed making spears »

Ellen DeGeneres hosts Oscars

Ellen DeGeneres is booked to host the 2007 Oscards, airing live on Sunday night. She apparently has "had her eye on" hosting the Oscars for sometime now, especially after hosting the Emmys and the Grammys already. Producers of the show as well as academy members are very confident in DeGeneres and believe that she will be a great host, bringing a good atmosphere to the awards show. The talk show host has been taping two episodes of her show a day in order to prepare for the big night and have the week of the Oscars off.

The article I looked at, from the Cincinnati Post, has many news values. Obviously, the event is timely because the Oscars air Sunday night (tonight). The event may has an impact nationally, since the Oscars bring in so many viewers:

**All that's left are a few final touches and hosting a live, global telecast that in the United States alone generally attracts an audience of at least 40 million.

The event of DeGeneres hosting has prominence because she is a talk show host/comedian that is nationally, if not internationally known. Her name will make news. Although there isn't external conflict shown in the article, it does show some internal conflict for DeGeneres with her nerves of hosting, etc. The Oscars aren't exactly unusual because they take place every year, but it is DeGeneres' first time hosting, therefore it is a "first of their kind," which makes the event a novelty. The article is clearly current and worthy of discussion and it's entertaining. The audience gets to see another view of the awards ceramony, the host's preparation. Usually we hear all about the nominees and the celebrities that will be there.

This article can be found here: http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070223/LIFE/702230342/1005

The second article is from ABC News. Naturally, it has a lot of the same news values since it discusses the same event. It is timely, national impact, prominence, internal conflict for DeGeneres, some novelty, currency and it is entertaining. The one thing different about this article is the mention of Katrina and DeGeneres' involvement in the disaster:

**"I'm determined like you are," DeGeneres told Roberts. "It's Mississippi and New Orleans. & They need our help. They just need, if nothing else, to know that we don't -- we're not forgetting. So it's always, always in my heart to mention them."

It's DeGeneres' goal, she says, to bring joy. Through her show, to the victims of Katrina, and, hopefully, on Sunday night at the Oscars.

"I want to walk out and make everybody feel real good that night." **

The first article didn't say anything about this subject, which makes the article have more of a national impact than ever. I found it interesting that this information came at the end of the article. It isn't the main theme in the article; however its importance was lower than what DeGeneres would be wearing to the awards show.

This article can be found here: http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=entertainment&id=5065301

Personally, I prefer the first article. I feel that it really concentrates on the theme of the article, while the second article jumps around a lot. I feel that is really conentrates on DeGeneres' preparation for the awards show, which is interesting for readers; we get a "behind the scenes" look, in a way. I also like the quotes that are used toward the end from the producers of the Oscars and members of the academy. It gives me a better idea of what to expect from the show and gives me confidence in DeGeneres to do a good job.

I needed to write you a tiny remark just to say thanks a lot the moment again with the precious tips you’ve provided here. It is quite remarkably generous with you to present extensively what exactly a number of people might have sold for an e-book to help make some bucks for their own end, even more so given that you might have tried it in the event you desired. Those points as well worked to become fantastic way to know that other individuals have the identical dreams similar to my very own to grasp way more when it comes to this matter. I’m certain there are millions of more pleasurable periods up front for many who looked over your blog post.