Reflection

The future of the journalism industry is a bit undecided, I have learned. Personally, I think there still will be newspapers and magazines and "print media" as a whole; however, it's difficult to come to terms with the fact that internet journalism will be taking over. I wouldn't exactly mind writing for an online publication, but there is something different about it. Seeing your name in print (in a newspaper or magazine) is different than seeing your name on a computer screen.

This may have something to do with the generation I grew up in. We were raised learning how to use the internet so it doesn't really hold a special place in our hearts. For those in the generation before us (e.g. my parents), perhaps the internet and online journalism is more highly valued; therefore, seeing their name in a byline online would be exciting.

For me, I feel that seeing my name in print would be more gratifying, more rewarding that on a screen. I think we all are going to have to realize this may be the future of journalism and we might need to just accept it. At some point in our lives, we will probably have to write for online. Not to say we won't be able to write for newspapers or magazines, but we need to work our way up somehow. And writing for the internet is better than not having a job.

Minnesotan woman in karaoke bust

Friday, Tracy Anna Brock of Burnsville pleaded guilty in the federal court to reporducing and uploading copyright-protected karaoke tunes onto hundreds of hard drives and selling them on ebay.

The first article I read is from the Pioneer Press and can be found at http://www.twincities.com/allheadlines/ci_5735351

The reporter shows timeliness by simply stating that Brock pleaded to the felony on Friday, showing it's newsworthy. The event doesn't directly affect the reader or everyday person, however the article notes the impact on Brock herself:

**Brock faces up to five years in prison and $250,000 in fines when U.S. District Judge David Doty sentences her.**

It also gives information on the rights of businesses, which incinuates the impact doing something like this will have on you:

**Businesses can file civil suits seeking to protect their property, but federal authorities also are targeting thieves for criminal prosecution. Convictions can translate into prison time and huge fines.**

This article does show proximity, since Brock is a Minnesotan (from Burnsville). Regarding the supplemental values, the reporter shows some currency in the article:

**The bust is part of the Justice Department's broader initiative to combat online auction piracy. Brock sold her illicit goods on eBay and other online auction sites, where illegally copied music, movies and software are widely available.**

By mentioning that this is an "initiative" of the Justice Department, it shows that this problem has been a trend and a subject that needs to be taken care of.

The second article I read is from the Star Tribune and can be found here: http://www.startribune.com/467/story/1139222.html

This article concentrates on the actual event of Brock being brought to federal court and charged, not the broad topic and attempts by the government to control scams like this. The article does have timeliness, however it doesn't come until the third paragraph:

**U.S. Attorney Rachel Paulose said in a news release Monday that it is the "first ever criminal conviction related to infringement of copyrighted karaoke music and is part of the Department of Justice's broader initiative to combat online auction piracy."**

This sentence in itself more than one news value (in addition to timeliness). It shows that the event has novelty, being the "first ever" of something. It also shows currency because of the "broader initiative" that it mentions. The article also mentions the impact that this had on Brock herself, similar to the first article. However, the reporter for the Star Tribune mentions something that the Pioneer Press does not:

**"I'm here to plead guilty of conspiring to violate copyright laws," said Brock, who has agreed to help prosecute others involved in the conspiracy in a deal that will spare her additional charges.**

That is almost more of sentence for human interest - it could make the reader go, "huh." The fact that Brock admitted to everything she did adds to this, as well.

I think that this story itself is very intruiging and both articles did a pretty good job reporting it. I think the second article from the Star Tribune is more interesting because it talks about the specific incident rather than the whole topic. However, I feel that the two articles just took different approaches to the issue. I just prefer the second.

Minnesota college's emergency plans

Since yesterday's shootings at Virginia Tech, colleges and university's al over the country have been reviewing their emergency plans, Minnesota included. However, college officials in Minnesota are not promising that they are able to prevent a tragedy like Virginia Tech suffered.

The first article I looked at is from the Star Tribune and can be found here: http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1125132.html

The article shows timeliness because of the massacre at Virginia Tech yesterday; therefore it is appropriate to discuss emergency plans and procedures for other college campuses. The article also shows, as a whole, the impact that the shootings had on Minnesota and authorities:

**Melinda Voss, spokeswoman for the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system, said its 37 institutions have their own policies, procedures and technology to avert such tragedies. All "are in a state of heightened awareness" because of the Virginia shootings, she said.**

Because of the tragedy, universities are looking more closely at their systems. The article brings up the conflict at Virginia Tech and discusses in short the opinion of an authority - U of M Police Chief Greg Hestness:

**Although some Virginia Tech students have questioned the time it took to notify them of the situation, Hestness said he was reserving judgment until he learns more.**

This article could serve as human interest; there is no doubt that people around the country are wondering how safe their college campus is and what precautions are being taken as far as safety and security goes. Regarding the supplemental values, the article shows currency because the subject is worthy of discussion for the same reason as the article exists as a human interest story. It is somewhat necessary for the public to know about the different colleges in Minnesota and their safety procedures and systems because many people who are reading the article will know someone or is someone who attends those colleges. It is helpful for that reason, as well.

The second article I read is from WCCO.com and can be found here: http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_107091514.html

This article is much shorter, but proves the same point. It shows timeliness because of the shootings in Virginia yesterday:

**Officials at Minnesota's colleges and universities say they have emergency plans designed to handle dangerous situations like yesterday's shootings at Virginia Tech.**

Their action is a result of the incident. This also shows the impact the shootings had on officials at Minnesota colleges, similar to the first article. One paragraph suggests the conflict regarding the lack of action taken by officials during the incident at Virginia Tech. It says specifically what would happen if an incident similar to the one in Virginia happened at the Universtiy of St. Thomas:

**Jim Winterer, spokesman for the University of St. Thomas, and Doug Stone, spokesman for Macalester College, said their campuses have close ties to St. Paul police and fire crews. Winterer said news of a shooter on campus would summon police in about two minutes and an e-mail alert would go out within 10 minutes.**

The article is a human interest story and shows currency for the same reasons as the first article does: it is worthy of discussion and therefore necessary because safety is important. However, it becomes more of a human interest story because of the shootings at Virginia Tech yesterday - safety is on everyone's minds. It is helpful to know about the University's security systems for those who attend the U or for those who know someone who goes there.

I think that the first article is way more thorough and complete, and for good reason. It gathers information about many colleges around the Twin Cities and their security systems, while the second article just talks about the U. The first article also discusses the specific things that happened yesterday in Virginia and compared it to procedures that are set here at the colleges in Minnesota.

Minnesota brothers found in lake

Two brothers who went missing in November from their home on an Indian Reservation were found dead on Sunday not far from their home. Authorities are not sure exactly what happened, although one theory says they wandered away from their yard, went onto the frozen lake and fell through. Autoposies will be done on the boys, which may help authorities discover what happened.

The first article I found on the event is from USA Today and can be found here: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-04-02-minn-boys_N.htm

This article is fairly short but gives the details of the event clearly. The event has timeliness because it just happened on Sunday; the article indicates this. The article definitely shows the impact the event has on the people involved in the case, like the FBI agent:

**"Today our worst fears were confirmed," said FBI agent Ralph Boelter.**

It doesn't go into detail about the family's reaction to the findings of their sons; this may be because they were unable to get quotes from them, or perhaps it was a conscious decision, since all parents who lose a child are sad and remorseful. The article does mention the impact it had on the community as well as a past incident that affected the community, as well:

**The Red Lake reservation is the same place where 16-year-old Jeff Weise killed his grandfather and grandfather's companion on March 21, 2005, then went to the high school and killed seven more people, including a teacher and a security guard, before killing himself.**

This article has proximity to a Minnesotan because this happened in Minnesota, however the article is from USA Today; therefore, it is not directed at Minnesotans. There is some conflict shown here, because they are not sure exactly what happened to the two boys. The event is a novelty of some sorts because it doesn't happen every day. And, of course, they have been looking for the boys for awhile now. Regarding the supplemental aspects of news values, the article shows currency with the event. This case has been going on since November, therefore it is worthy of discussion.

The second article I looked at is from kare11.com. It can be found here: http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=249686

Although this article is from the Associated Press originally, I feel it contains more news values and caters to Minnesotans more than the first article. First of all, the article is timely because it clarifies that the boys were found on Sunday. However, we don't find out this until the third paragrph, which I thought was interesting. Perhaps the reporter didn't think that was the most important information, but they put this quote (which the other article contains as well) before it:

**"Our worst fears were confirmed," FBI Special Agent Ralph Boelter said, announcing that the two tiny bodies had been found about a half-mile from their home.**

This was an interesting choice, I think. The event has impact and the article shows this. It uses way more quotations to convey emotion than the first one:

**"So many people were hoping for the safe return of these boys back home," Red Lake Tribal Chairman Floyd Jourdain Jr. said in a statement late Sunday. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the family in the wake of this disappointing news, and their heartbreaking loss."**

**"I'm grateful that we found the bodies," Boelter said. "Obviously it's very tragic for the families involved as well as the Red Lake Community."**

These quotations show the impact the event had on the people involved in the case as well as those who live on the same reservation as the boys' family. The article ends in the same way as the first one did, mentioning this former event, with this paragraph:

**The reservation had faced another tragedy less than two years before the boys' disappearance. On March 21, 2005, 16-year-old Jeff Weise killed his grandfather and the grandfather's girlfriend on the reservation, then went to the high school and killed seven more people, including a teacher and a security guard, before killing himself.**

The article does have proximity because it is from kare11.com in Minnesota, where the event took place. Although it was from the Associated Press, the article was appropriately used by a Minnesota news source. The article shows some conflict and unusualness for the same reasons as the first article does. This story also has currency because it is a subject worthy of discussion; the search for the boys has gone on for a long time and finally, their bodies are found.

I think these two articles both explain the situation and the event welll; they use a lot of the same information, obviously, and some of the same quotes. In my opinion, the second one really "hits home," not only because of the proximity but because of the quotes the reporter inserted into the story. Getting quotes from those involved in a case like this makes it easier to read and more interesting to read, as well. The reader understands how people feel about this. Although it may be obvious that people are going to feel sad after a tragic event like this, it is always something people want to hear.

Dog Beheading

After her dog went missing about a month ago, a 17-year-old girl from St. Paul received a box at her house two weeks ago with her dog's head inside. St. Paul police are investigating the case. The Humane Society of the United States is also helping out, offering a reward of up to $2,500 for information leading to an arrest and conviction.

The first article I read is from ABC News, AP, and was written on March 15. The article offers many news values. It is fairly timely; however it is a bit delayed, for it actually happened two weeks ago. The article definitely shows the impact it had on organizations in the area and in the U.S. The article tells what the Humane Society is doing:

**The Humane Society of the United States said Wednesday it was offering a reward of up to $2,500 for information leading to an arrest and conviction. The local chapter offered another $1,000 reward.**

It also shows the impact it had on the young girl who was the owner of the dog, as well as her grandmother with whom she lives. The article notes that the event happened in St. Paul, giving it proximity for Minnesota Readers. It also gives emotional closeness. The article contains many quotes from the grandmother and Crystal as well, making the reader feel closer. Here are some examples:

**"I felt empty," Crystal told the Star Tribune of Minneapolis. "I couldn't talk to anyone. He was my dog. It was just me and him. … I told him everything and he never shared any of my secrets."**

**"She was just hysterical," said Crystal's grandmother, Shirley Brown. "She was screaming. She said, 'Grandma, it's my dog's head!'**

**"This was so cruel," Crystal said. "This is one sick, twisted person."**

The article shows conflict, mostly because of the drama and the conflict within Crystal, the owner of the dog. The event itself has novelty because of the unusualness of the event. It's obvious that this sort of thing doesn't happen often.

This article can be found here: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2953573

The second article I read on this event is from the Star Tribune, written on March 16. This article serves as more of an update than a first look at the event. It discusses the "bigger reward" for information on the case. None the less, it still explains the situation and contains many news values. It is obviously timely, seeing this all has happened within the last couple weeks. This article shows the impact of the event through quotes as well. Although there aren' t any quotes from the owner of the dog (appropriate, since it isn't the first time the paper has written on this topic), it does contain a quote from another important person:

**"I've never heard of another case getting this much attention and people wanting to contribute money like this. I think it's because this was so horrendous and because the victim was a teenage girl," Jill Fritz, the Humane Society's state program coordinator, said Friday.**

Because this particular article is about the bigger reward being offered, Fritz would be a good person to quote, being from the Humane Society, who is supplying the award money. The article also shows the impact nationally and other people's reactions to the event:

**Since the Humane Society announced the reward fund Wednesday and news about the case spread, the group has received pledges and donations from across the United States and Canada.**

The article shows proximity in the same ways as the first article and it somewhat shows the novelty, although it is a follow-up article.

This article can be found here: http://www.startribune.com/467/story/1060291.html

I think because these articles have a different goal in mind, it is difficult to compare them. However, in my opinion, I think both of them did a great job of incorporating new values within them so the reader will know why this event is important.

Winter storm not over for MN

The recent talk has been all about the snow. The weekend has been pretty horrible weather with not only the powdery white stuff but sleet and ice as well. However, according to forecasters, the worst is yet to come. We should be expecting up to 18 inches of snow and we are discouraged to travel.

The first article is from the Pioneer Press, and is titled "Storm's not over, officials caution." It contains many news values we have discussed in class. Clearly, it is timely, since it is going on right now. It has a huge impact on the readers, being from MN. The lead is catchy and shows the impact:

**Stay home. Have a lazy Sunday. Work on those taxes, if you must, or catch the Oscars tonight on TV.**

It also has an impact because it mentions the possibilty of declaring a snow emergency tonight. That directly affects Minnesota residents. The article also discusses deaths over the last couple days, due to the weather - a direct impact and also the closing of runways at the airport, which impacted and may continue to impact travelers. The event clearly has proximity because of the geographic closeness. The article shows some conflict, with the strife/drama from the deaths Saturday:

**In the metro area, two people died after a van left Interstate 94 about two miles from the Minnesota state line in St. Croix County about 6 a.m. Saturday, the Wisconsin State Patrol said. One passenger was ejected from the westbound van and pronounced dead at the scene, while another person died later at a hospital, the state patrol said. Their identities were withheld.**

This event is not necessarily unusual for Minnesota; it is February and it normally snows a lot in February. However, it is not a part of everyday life. It is not everyday that we get this much snow and it is not everyday that we may get a snow emergency. It is obiviously current, as well, and is worthy of discussion because of the necessity and helpfulness of the article. Because officials are discouraging travel, it is necessary to let people know about the conditions, what has happened on the roads (accidents, deaths, injuries, etc.) and what is to come. This article does a good job of making that a main theme in the story, hence the headline:

**Storm's not over, officials caution
Forecasters expect up to 18 inches of snow, discourage travel."**

This article can be found here: http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/news/local/16781676.htm

The second article I found is from the Winona Daily News and is titled, "Weather Service warns, 'the worst is yet to come.'" This is a much shorter of an article compared to the first one and concentrates more on the snow itself; how much has fallen and how much is expected. Therefore, the article doesn't show as many news values as the other one. It shows that the event is timely, has somewhat of an impact and proximity - all for the same reasons as the first article. Most of the necessity and currency of the article's events is implied; it doesn't directly say that the events are necessary for the readers to know about, but it is assumed because of the facts the article offers:

**The State Patrol reported close to 200 accidents statewide as of 2 p.m. Saturday, including close to 120 in the Twin Cities metro area, though few involved serious injuries and there were no immediate reports of fatalities.**

(Note: "not immediate reports of fatalities" indicates that this article was written before the first article was..or it didn't receive information from the same source.) This event is unusual and helpful, in terms of knowing what is going on so the reader can decide for himself or herself whether to venture outdoors at all.

This article can be found here: http://www.winonadailynews.com/articles/2007/02/25/mn/01mnnews0225.txt

I think the first article, from the Pioneer Press, is way more interesting to read and tells us exactly WHY we should care about this. The second article doesn't seem to do that as much - it tells the facts but not much more. With an event like this, I feel it is a reporter's responsibility to show the readers and the citizens of the given city why this is important, as well as give the facts. Minnesotans are fairly used to snowstorms; however if someone just moved here and this is their first winter here, for example, they wouldn't know what is a bad snowstorm and what isn't too bad. The first article clearly has more news values - it relates to the reader, tells them what they want to hear about and it is extremely helpful.

A Marriage over the Web

The article I read was from the Isanti County News website and is called, "Love won't wait." The article reports on a Minnesota Army National Guard member and his fiance home in Minnesota who wed via the Web on Valentine's Day. Keith Swanson, stationed in Iraq, was not able to get back for their July 2007 wedding due to "an extention of wartime service," but him and his fiance, Amanda Watson decided to have the wedding anyway and earlier with an interactive teleconference.

Although this article is on a specific event that took place and may not seem to have a direct relationship with the readers, there are many news values within it. Obviously, the article is timely, seeing as the wedding was on February 14. The story does have an impact on not only Minnesotans but the whole country, as well. The article definitely shows the frustration of the war and the impact that "extension of wartime service" has on those who are serving in the war and those who are close with soldiers:

**“I bought my dress yesterday (Sunday) and I’m on my way to the hair dressers right now,? she said in between classes on Feb. 12. “I think the hardest part is how sick I will be after the ceremony, knowing I won’t be seeing Keith for another long time.?**

The reporter added another tidbit on the couple's relationship while Swanson is in Iraq, which made it hit home:

**She said they mainly talk through e-mails, and once in a blue moon, Keith has time to give her a phone call. Swanson currently works as either a convoy driver or gunner. Recently, his HUMVEE suffered a hit after contacting an IED, but he escaped with a minor injury.**

Everyone in the country is affected in some way, whether it is directly or not, by the war. This article is an example of that. The geographic and emotional closeness is what attracts readers to this story, therefore proximity comes into play. This situation became an "internal conflict" for those involved, therefore the article does have some conflict value. This is a very unusual event, obviously. People don't get married over the internet very often. That makes it a human interest story.

One thing to take into consideration was the audience. Watson is a Cambridge-Isanti grad. Therefore, the article went into more detail about the wedding than other articles might because one of the individuals is a part of that community.

This article can be found here: http://isanticountynews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=266&Itemid=1

The second article I looked at is from WCCO.com and is titled, "Soldier Marries Minnesota Woman Via The Web." This article is more of a news story than the other (which seemed to be more of a human interest story). This story is timely, is unusual and has proximity value, seeing as these individuals are from Minnesota - all for the same reasons as the other article. I feel the impact isn't shown as strongly as it is in the other article; however whenever there is a story where soldiers are involved, I feel the reader feels some sort of impact, especially when the individual is from the same area or same state. The lead has some emotional impact:

**National Guard Spec. Keith Swanson and Amanda Watson had planned a July wedding with 500 guests.
Instead, they had a long-distance wedding on Valentine's Day. He blew her a kiss and she puckered up to his image on a 72-inch screen.**

This article can be found here: http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_046072828.html

I feel that these two articles are drastically different from one another. Like I mentioned before, the first one is more of a human interest story and the second is a strict news story, inverted pyramid style. The first one was more interesting to read because of all the details; the reader gets a better idea of what the ceramony would be like and how they managed to make it work. Simply, it answers more questions while the second article from WCCO is very plain and not colorful. The event itself hits home because of the war in general and really is something that the entire country would find interesting.

Mauer signs 4 year deal with Twins

The article I chose was on WCCO.com, an AP article titled "Twins Sign Mauer For 4 More Years." The headline basically tells it all! Joe Mauer, from the Minnesota Twins, agreed today to sign a four-year contract of $33 million. Because the Twins is the first professional team he has played for, some believe that Mauer may be heading toward the Hall of Fame, seeing as he is following in the footsteps Minnesota's Kirby Puckett, who spend his whole life with the same team.

This article is written in the Inverted Pyramid Style. The lead is very straightforward, a "summary lead" giving the facts that need to be stated right up front. Then, the article continues with facts about Mauer, like his batting average, his records, or anything else that should be noted about him as a baseball player. A quote from his agent concerning this decision followed. For the next few paragraphs, the article has background material, discussing Mauer's rookie season in 2004 with a knee injury and a few quotes from his general manager. The last paragraph is a secondary theme:

**Twins pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report to spring training in Fort Myers, Fla., by next Sunday. Ryan has one more player left in arbitration, right fielder and cleanup hitter Michael Cuddyer.**

These statements are not necessarily important to the real story at hand; however, it is related to the twins as a team. It's an update on what the team is doing now, which people may be interested in knowing.

This article can be found here: http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_042123905.html

The second article is from Minnesota Public Radio, by Anne Baxter. It is titled, "Twins sign Mauer through 2010." This article is also written in the Inverted Pyramid style. It starts off with a "summary lead," however this article is a little different in what they consider the most important thing. It talks about what the "arbitration deal" is. This is an interesting aspect to the story and explains it well for those who don't know what it is. The article then gives some explanation, giving Mauer's history with the twins and a quote directly from him. Background material and supporting points are given, with a quote from Mauer about him playing for the Twins and a statement from the general manager. At the end, there are two secondary themes discussed (the opening of the new ballpark in 2010 and spring training). This article seems to cater to those who may not follow baseball real closely, while the other one seems to assume that people know a lot of things already. It makes a huge difference that the second article had direct quotations from Joe Mauer in it, while the other didn't because he "did not respond to calls immediately."

This second article can be found here: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2007/02/11/mauer_signs/

In my opinion, I think the second article is a bit easier to understand and more interesting with the facts it presents. I follow the Twins during the season and a lot of the things in the first article I didn't understand completely because it wasn't explained fully. I thought the second one did a good job of pointing out things people are going to be intriuged by and giving good quotations from Mauer himself.

Streisand donation to St. Paul arts high school

An article with the headline reading, "Streisand gives $10K to charter school" was written for the Pioneer Press by Doug Belden and posted on their website on Wed, Jan. 31. The article reports that singer/actress Barbra Streisand donated $10,000 to the St. Paul Conservatory for Performing Artists, a charter school in downtown St. Paul's Landmakr Cetner. According to the article, the Streisand Foundation will give "an additional $10,000 worth of audio and visual equipment." The article has information about the charter school as well as the Streisand Foundation.

This article can be found at: http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/news/local/16583665.htm

The reporter quoted Terry Tofte, the executive director of the charter school, a number of times both directly and indirectly. There is a lot of information about this news event; the reporter could have put everything in quotations. Instead, he chose to use the more exciting, colorful quotations from Tofte and paraphrase for the rest of it. For example, the reporter explains how the school will use the money in this indirect quote:

**At the conservatory, Tofte said the equipment will be used to create a recording studio, and the cash donation will be used for staff and curriculum development to support the school's music program, which debuted this school year.**

Then, the reporter mixes is up and actually asks the question he most likely asked Tofte himself and gives Tofte's answer:

**Considering the diva's generosity, will the new recording studio be named after Babs?
"I don't see why not," Tofte said with a laugh. "We're trying to figure out some way to thank her."**

This quotation would not be as meaningful if it was paraphrased. It makes the article more personal and shows how greatful Tofte and the school is for the donation. There is an indirect quotation in the article from Rupa Balasubramanian, an associate at the Streisand Foundation. The information she gives to the article is just that - information; how the conservatory was picked to reveive a contribution and why Streisand decided to donate. This would not make a good quotation because there aren't any colorful words or interesting facts being told that couldn't really be paraphrased. The reporter definitely fought the urge to quote everything everyone said and used indirect quotes instead.

The second article is from the West Central Tribune Online. It is from the Associated Press and posted on Wednesday, as well. This article, with the headline, "Streisand donates $10,000 to St, Paul performing arts school" contains basically the same information as the first article. This article quotes Tofte one time, and the same quote appears in the Pioneer Press article:

**Its executive director, Terry Tofte, said he first learned of the gifts last month, and "my reaction was, 'Well, Merry Christmas!'"**

The rest of the quotations are indirect. One such quote is:

**The Streisand Foundation told the school she identifies an arts organization to support in the cities where she tours. The foundation doesn't say much about its selection criteria, Tofte said.**

This seems like a quotation that didn't need to be put into the article at all. Because it was, it gives a bad conotation and infers that the Foundation doesn't have a criteria for chosing which schools to donate to. There are no quotations from anyone at the Streisand Foundation.

This second article can be found at: http://www.wctrib.com/ap/index.cfm?page=view&id=D8N02SQG0&forumcomm_check_return

The Pioneer Press article is more thorough and interesting to read, in my opinion. The quotations were chosen wisely, in comparison to the West Central Tribune article, and the lead is attention-grabbing. I also feel that the first article went into more detail about the school and the foundation, explaining exactly what the charter school is all about and their mission. It is more captivating in general.

U of M vs. Wisconsin: the reciprocity dispute

An article from the Pioneer Press with the headline "U threatens to end tuition deal with Wisconsin" talks about the recent debate what whether the tuition deal between Minnesota and Wisconsin should continue or end. Minnesota has apparently lost a lot of money because of this reciprocity - $6 million per year in lost tuition. Wisonsin says that they shouldn't have any consequences from the large increase in tuition for Minnesota's schools. Unless Wisconsin students agree to pay as much or more than Minnesota residents do to attend the University, the u may end the tuition deal.

The article's lead is just one sentence long and gets right to the point. There is so much information on this topic and so many people involved that it would definitely be difficult to fight the urge and not fill the lead with endless information. The reporter did a good job in that aspect. The article as a whole is a little hard to follow - it tries to explain the situation clearly, but doesn't quite get there.

You can find this article at: http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/news/local/16538804.htm

The second article I found that dealt with this topic is from the Star Tribune and was given the headline "U threatens to quit tuition reciprocity deal." This article's lead takes a little bit of a different perspective. It indicates that the "battle" has been going on for some time and explains what the issue was before. The reader knows right off the bat that this is a sort of follow-up story rather than brand new news coverage.

This article is at: http://www.startribune.com/1592/story/961067.html
Although the two articles are written from different perspectives, I still think that the second article has a better lead. For that matter, I think the second article (from the Star Tribune) is more interesting in general than the first (from the Pioneer Press). The Star Tribune article seems to go more in depth with valuable information and people involved that is captivating to the readers. I feel that the second article is way more clear, as well; it is easier for the audience to understand the situation.