Red-card victim willing to speak on England striker's behalf

During their Euro 2012 qualifying match England's Wayne Rooney violently kicked at Montenegro defender Miodrag Dzudovic, subsequently earning himself a red-card and a three-game international ban.

The England Football Association has since appealed the suspensions in hopes of reducing the suspension to lesser games. All notwithstanding the 32-year-old Dzudovic says he'll speak in his attacker's defense, ESPN reports.

"I will speak for Rooney if he appeals against his ban," Dzudovic told the Daily Mirror. "I don't think it was fair (the ­punishment). He just was not thinking in that moment. He realized immediately what he had done and he apologized to me."

Nick: You are doing a good job on the blogs, but you are not making deadline with these entries. Per the syllabus, I should be giving you no credit for them. But I'll give you half credit for all late ones up until now. And then going forward, you will get no credit for files past midnight. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

GG