Recently in National Category

Paquiao defeats Marquez amidst controversy

Manny Paquiao defeated Juan Manuel Marquez by majority decision after an even 12-round fight at MGM Garden Arena in Las Vegas, CNN reports. Controversy

According to the judges Paquiao won, but the crowd clearly wasn't about of this majority.

The Associated Press reports that post-decision the arena was filled with boos and some spectators even threw cans and bottles in protest.

The result was extremely close with Paquiao winning by only 6 points total. For perspective, the overall score was 345-339 in favor of Paquiao.

Along with the crowd, Marquez disagreed with the decision and left the ring early.

"This was the second robbery and this one was the worst," Marquez said. "We won with clearer punches."

Kansas governor apologizes for 'overreaction' to tweet

Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback apologized Monday for his staff's "overreaction" to a schoolgirl's tweet during her visit to the state Capitol, according to CNN.

Eighteen-year-old Emma Sullivan said that her school principal told her she needed to write an apology to the governor after one of his staffers had complained. The deadline for the apology essay was Monday, but instead the school released a statement stating that "she is not required to write a letter of apology to the governor."

According to the Kansas City Star, Sullivan's tweet said, "Just made mean comments at gov. brownback and told him he sucked, in person #heblowsalot."

However, Sullivan said she didn't actually make such comments and that it was "joking around."

Officers in Pepper Spray Incident Placed on Leave

UC Davis has suspended two of its police officers because of their involvement in a pepper spraying incident against passive students at the university, the Boston Globe reports.

The president of the 10-campus University of California system, under fire with calls for his job, says he was "apalled" at the now infamous images and video, the AP reports.

"I implore students who wish to demonstrate to do so in a peaceful and lawful fashion. I expect campus authorities to honor that right," UC President Mark G. Yudof said.

Paquiao wins by decision over Marquez

Manny Paquiao defeated Juan Manuel Marquez by majority decision after an even 12-round fight at MGM Garden Arena in Las Vegas, CNN reports.

Head coach of the Penn State football team Joe Paterno is being questioned on how he reacted in 2002 after receiving information regarding a child sexual abuse allegations regarding his defensive coordinator of 32 years, Jerry Sandusky.

According to The New York Times, Paterno was informed by a graduate student that he had seen Sandusky sexually harassing a 10-year-old boy in the football facility's showers.

Paterno did not call the police. Rather, Paterno had a meeting with the school's athletic director telling him of the witness' account.

ESPN reports that Paterno released a statement saying he felt he acted appropriately under the circumstances.

"While I did what I was supposed to with the one charge brought to my attention, like anyone else involved I can't help but be deeply saddened these matters are alleged to have occurred," Paterno said.

'Die-hard' Occupy protesters clash with Denver police

Denver police fired pepper spray pellets and arrested Occupy protesters who attempted to erect tents in a park near the Colorado Capitol, says the Associated Press.

Police arrived in riot gear and made 20 arrests while trying to prevent protesters from putting up tents in the park, which is illegal, Reuters reports.

Denver police spokesman Matt Murray said the majority of the protesters were peaceful except "a just a die-hard group that didn't want to cooperate."

48 exotic animals killed by local police

An Ohio man released 56 exotic animals he owned, forcing a local sheriff to kill 48 of them earlier this week, says the Associated Press.

According to the AP 62-year-old Terry Thompson admitted he was having a tough time caring for the animals days before unleashing them and killing himself.

USA Today reports that the man behind the order to shoot and kill, Sheriff Matt Lutz, has come under nationwide criticism, but says, "If I had to do it over, I'd do the exact same thing."

Indy 500 winner dies after crash in Las Vegas

This year's Indianapolis 500 winner, Dan Wheldon, died Sunday at Las Vegas Motor Speedway after a 15-car pile-up, according to the Associated Press.

The crash happened during the season finale of the IndyCar Series and after officials called the race. Despite this, the drivers gave Wheldon a five-lap tribute and could be seen openly crying, says ESPN.

California bans children under 18 from tanning beds

The state of California has introduced a new law that will prevent children under the age of 18 from using tanning beds, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

California is the first to introduce said law in the U.S., although Texas currently bans children under 16 from using tanning beds a report from the Associated Press says.

The current law in California states no children under 14 can use tanning beds, but 15-17-year-olds can with parental permission.

The new law takes effect Jan. 1.

Three killed at party in San Leandro

Three people were killed, and another three were wounded after gunmen opened fire at a party in San Leandro, Calif., the Asocciated Press reports.

The party was promoted via internet and hosted at a large warehouse in the Northern California city. It was at the end of the evening's festivities when around 1:20 p.m. according to police when "atleast two gunmen" started shooting at exiting partygoers.

In a video interview with ABC7 Roger Kiel told the station that his daughter was one of the deceased.

"I'm devastated," Kiel said. "I'm looking at my car with the bullet holes in my windshield where I sit. So, I know my daughter suffered a horrible death."

This page is an archive of recent entries in the National category.

Local (x2) is the previous category.

Random is the next category.