Recently in Random Category

Miller suffers concussion; out for season

Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller suffered a concussion after a "gutless" hit by Boston Bruins forward Milan Lucic, CBS Sports.com reports.

Miller came out of the goalie crease to play the puck, and by NHL rules was legal to be checked. However, Miller and his coach, Lindy Ruff, felt the hit was over the line, ESPN reports.

"I thought it was a major," Ruff said Saturday. "I thought if it was open season on goalies then let's get at it."

"(Lucic has) 50 pounds on me and he runs me like that? It's unbelievable," Miller said. "Everyone in this city sees him as a big tough solid player. I respected him for how hard he played. That was gutless."

Syracuse fires Fine amid allegations

ESPN reports that University of Syracuse assistant head basketball coach, Bernie Fine, was fired Monday after a week of sexual abuse allegations, which climaxed with the release of a tape where his wife appears to confirm the crimes.

Fine, 65, was headed into his 36th year with Syracuse and was the longest tenured assistant coach in the Division I men's basketball.

"I know everything that went on, you know," Laurie Fine said on the recorded call obtained by ESPN from the accuser Billy Davis.

According to CNN and her nephew, Matt Govendo, Fine plans on challenging the tape recording.

"She'll even say that's her voice," Govendo said.

In relation to the sections broadcasted on ESPN Govendo said they had been "tampered with."

Huskies blanked by fierce Gophers

The Minnesota men's hockey team swept Sacred Heart in their season opening two game series, the Minnesota Daily reports.

The Gophers won their opening games of the new season with relative ease by the scores of 9-0 (Friday) and 6-0 (Saturday).

In addition to the positive start to the new season the Star-Tribune adds some interesting tidbits. Four Minnesota freshmen scored their first college goals in the series and Kent Patterson who had zero shutouts in 45 career games for the Gophers came out of the weekend with two.

The schedule toughens up considerably for the Gophers next week as they face the defending NCAA Champion Bulldogs of Minnesota-Duluth. Head coach Don Lucia recognized this as well as starting the season against an altogether soft opponent.

"We know we're going to play a better opponent next week," Lucia said. "It's good for us to have these games to gain some confidence.''

Sabres goalie Miller suffers concussion

Missouri officially leaves Big 12, joins SEC

Announced Sunday, Missouri will join the Southeastern Conference, in addition to Texas A&M early this year, says The New York Times.

ESPN reported that the Missouri's crossover becomes effective July 1, 2012 along a statement from SEC commissioner Mike Slive.

"We are pleased, and we are proud to welcome you [Missouri] to the family of the Southeastern Conference," he said. "We know that homecoming is a special tradition here at Missouri. So let me say to the entire Missouri nation, 'Welcome to your new home.'"

NBA cancels all games in November

Commissioner David Stern canceled the first month of the NBA season Friday and saying that there will not be a full NBA season "under any circumstances," the Associated Press reports.

This announcement comes after the league and the player's union broke negotiations due to disagreement on how to share league revenues.

According to NBA.com blogger Sekou Smith the cancellation of November games will cost the league "hundreds of millions more" in addition to the $200 million lost as a result of a bypassed preseason.

Manchester City stiker is unscathed after fire

Mario Balotelli, Manchester City and Italy striker, was unharmed after a firework started a fire in his bathroom, ESPN reports.

The Daily Mail says the fire started after one of Balotelli's friends set off the recreational explosive as a prank.

Police say the fire is being investigated, but not being treated as suspicious.

During their Euro 2012 qualifying match England's Wayne Rooney violently kicked at Montenegro defender Miodrag Dzudovic, subsequently earning himself a red-card and a three-game international ban.

The England Football Association has since appealed the suspensions in hopes of reducing the suspension to lesser games. All notwithstanding the 32-year-old Dzudovic says he'll speak in his attacker's defense, ESPN reports.

"I will speak for Rooney if he appeals against his ban," Dzudovic told the Daily Mirror. "I don't think it was fair (the ­punishment). He just was not thinking in that moment. He realized immediately what he had done and he apologized to me."

Hockey: Gophers sweep Sacred Heart to start season

#24 Penn State tops Minnesota 1-0 in women's soccer

Penn State defeated Big Ten rival Minnesota by a scoreline of 1-0 Sunday and were lead by their prolific striker sophomore Maya Hayes, according to the Minnesota Daily.

Hayes, the game's lone goal scorer, leads the nation in goals and was at the forefront of every Nittany Lion attack throughout the contest. Hayes leads all of Division I in goals with 16.

The Big Ten Network covered the game with a live online broadcast and summarized the day's events well with help from this blogger.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Random category.

National is the previous category.