Mneumonics

Mnemonic devices have helped improve my grades for as long as I can remember. According to the Lilienfeld text, a Mnemonic device is "a learning aid, strategy or device that enhances recall." In other words, a mnemonic device is something that helps you remember things that you otherwise would not have. For example, if you wanted to recall the order the planets are in in relevance to the sun, you could remember the phrase "My Very Earnest Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas" to remind you of the first letters of the actual planets. The order of the first letters of this mnemonic device are MVEMJSUNP. This corresponds with the actual planets, Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto. I think that mnemonic devices are extremely useful when you have to memorize things that you are having trouble remembering. There are many different examples of mnemonic devices and many people make up different devices to help them study. Our brain processes the information better when it can relate unrelated topics to something that you can better process or remember. For example, you could put a list that you have to remember to a popular song to recall them better. In this Youtube video, a woman raps and sings information about the periodic table to aid people in their memorization of the first 20 elements as well as properties of the periodic table. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAnOUwPfHlk&feature=related. As I reflect upon this research finding, I wonder if there is any certain device that helps us remember things specifically better. For instance, will rapping the elements help me remember them better than making an acronym for them? Are the different parts of the brain that aid in memory made up differently if they can remember one mnemonic device better than another? Overall, whether I remember things from rapping or acronyms, by creating a mnemonic device, I am guaranteed to remember better than if I had not made one.