What's Blood Got to do With it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/articles/emotions/faceperception2.shtml

On Saturday, I participated in the long-awaited Zombie Pub Crawl in Minneapolis and St. Paul. My friends and I spent hours creating "wounds," applying fake blood, ripping clothing, and shadowing our eyes to appear as close to the real thing as possible. We even discussed how hilarious it would be if people flirted and exchanged numbers with each other dressed as zombies. However, as the night progressed, we realized that flirting still occurred amidst this ugly event. Cat-calls were a common occurrence and we witnessed several heated make-out sessions. This raised a silly question: "What's blood got to do with it?" Do the costumes, makeup, and fake blood really make a difference in how attractive people find each other?
While searching the internet, I found this article about "Facial Prejudice," which presents the relationship between certain facial features and attraction. Professor David Perrett of the University of St Andrew has been studying this relationship by digitally manipulating faces and asking research participants to rate the faces' levels of extraversion, conscientiousness, agreeableness, openness, and neuroticism. According to this study, the more "feminine" a face looks, the more agreeable they seem. The article continues by discussing that "our perceptions of agreeableness exactly mirror the action of the male sex hormone testosterone. Several studies have shown that testosterone tends to make men more confrontational and anti-social." Based on studies such as these, it now makes more sense to me as to why--despite all of the blood and makeup--flirting was still a common occurrence during the Zombie Pub Crawl.