Universal Adaptability

It's amazing to think that in the first year of our life we are so sensitive to the world around us. One aspect of that early stage is universal adaptability. It's the astonishing ability babies [up to the age of 1 years old] have that makes them able to distinguish small variances in vocal tones. It's how we start learning a language. However, somewhere after our 1 year of life, the ability is lost once we start to focus on one specific language.

I myself am bilingual. My parents are from Thailand and they taught me Thai and English simultaneously. Unfortunately my English is stronger than my Thai so I don't know if I'll be able to teach my future children Thai. I played around with the idea that I could just play hours upon hours of Thai cartoons so they would just pick it up. That idea was smashed to pieces when I learned that you need face to face learning to really pick up a language.

So, I'll just have to make sure to speak Thai around my kids if I want them to pick it up.

That's weird that face-to-face helps pick up a language more than watching T.V. in that language or something. Perhaps it's because when you're face-to-face, you're also responding in that language thus giving you more understanding of it and more interaction.

I also found it very fascinating that children could distinguish between small variances in vocal tones. I am also bilingual and speak both English and Spanish and speak both fluently, and it never really occurred to me that I could distinguish between two different tones. It also makes sense then that it is much easier to learn a language while you are young and can distinguish differences, then when you are older and are only focused on one specific language tone.

I always wanted to become bilingual but i know that now at my age it's harder to learn another language because i'm so dominate using english. Babies adapt universal adaptivity at age one and shortly leaves after. This would be the perfect time to start learning another language because babies can start hearing different tones in voices.

Fascinating post. It would be very cool to be bilingual. I hoping to be bilingual soon, but my Spanish needs a little more polishing.