« greenbox description | Main | Greenman Festival »

A Life of Luxury

citizendesigner.jpg

In the book entitled: Citizen Designer by Steven Heller and Veronique Vienne, an article caught my attention. It was about how people in today's society that think they need materialistic things. They call these things luxuries. For example, driving a BMW or Mercedes, wearing Louis Vuitton or drinking Cristal. Import cars seem to be luxuries because not many people can afford them. Therefore, you don't see much of these items unless you are in a high status part of the world and making these people seem superior. Once that luxury is seen more and more and becomes affordable to normal society then it just goes down to plain old "premium." In the book, and I quote, "Luxury has long been quality of interest to economists who found a measure of the health of the society in its luxury goods." These people are looked up to in todays society because they have nice things. We all want nice things right? But we can't have them because status comes into play thus creating the pretty word luxury. I just looks good on paper and you feel good saying it!...."Luxury."

Hey Dayna! That seems like an interesting article you read about wealth and luxury in our society today. Although nice things are fun to work towards, it seems that other countries really look down on us for our materialistic attitudes. It's a fine line that we need to pay attention to.
Also - I love how your green box turned out. It looks like you put a lot of time into redoing it!