Blog Prompt 8 - Gershenfeld vs. Khan

Maybe Gershenfeld and Khan aren't in a direct battle like the title of the prompt may suggest; however, it seems as if there is a slight contrast in their views of light and technology.

Continue reading "Blog Prompt 8 - Gershenfeld vs. Khan" »

Blog Prompt 7 - Technopoly

I have this feeling that the 21st century will be looked upon centuries from now as the transition into a new age - The Technological Age. Similar to the Industrial Revolution, the new technologies and ambition to keep creating and building new technologies are shaping the world we live in. Everyday activities are affected by new technological and communicative advances that, on the surface, look to be positive advances, but how close are we to the line where new technologies are hurting our way of life? Have we already crossed that line?

Continue reading "Blog Prompt 7 - Technopoly" »

Blog Prompt 6 - Design & Mathematics

Design, and more specifically architecture, are obviously directly related to mathematics. Without simple geometry, for instance, the architect can't build a suitable roof. But overlooking dimensions and other facets of math that can easily be seen in architecture, I have decided to focus on an aspect of design that we all had experience since we were first in school...

Continue reading "Blog Prompt 6 - Design & Mathematics" »

Blog Prompt 5 - Opposition (Music vs. Human Emotion)

There are oppositions all around us in today's society and environment. Even in everyday life, people, places, objects, conditions, etc. act and counteract each other, creating numerous oppositions with every shift of an eye. So why was it so hard for me to hone in on one opposition and discuss how it relates to me?

Continue reading "Blog Prompt 5 - Opposition (Music vs. Human Emotion)" »

Blog Prompt 4 - Phenomena

I am a big sports buff. Basketball is the one sport that interests me the most. And when this blog prompt of a 'phenomena' was given, the first thing I thought of was sports, and then basketball, and then Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls' dynasty of the 1990s (I'm a Bulls fan). Unfortunately, someone beat me to the punch and described the same phenomena in his blog, but I decided to stick with basketball. There are plenty of non-MJ moments that can be classified as a phenomena and the next one that comes to mind is Wilt Chamberlain's 100 point game on March 2, 1962.

Continue reading "Blog Prompt 4 - Phenomena" »

Blog Prompt 3 - Genius Loci

To many Chicagoans, Wrigley Field is more than just the venue that the Chicago Cubs have called home since 1916. To many Chicagoans, Wrigley Field captures the essence of the city and their love of the Chicago Cubs and provides an environment that fans keep coming to.

Continue reading "Blog Prompt 3 - Genius Loci" »

Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor

For those rap fans out there, this is a can't miss classic from my boy, Lupe Fiasco.

Continue reading "Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor" »

Blog Prompt 2 - Social Design Issue

Throughout my first few weeks here at the University of Minnesota, I have been able to explore the downtown area and compare it to that of my hometown, Chicago (ok, im from the suburbs, but im in the Chi a lot). And there are a lot of things I miss about Chicago, but Minneapolis does replicate the urban feel that I enjoy. I love the city and the U's location to Minneapolis/St. Paul was a big attraction as to why I now call it home. The one thing that Minneapolis has over Chicago are...

Continue reading "Blog Prompt 2 - Social Design Issue" »

Blog Prompt 1 - Midtown Market/Energy

Energy is the exertion of all of the forces in the world. It is the fuel that runs our bodies. And in the case of the Midtown Market in Minneapolis, it is the lively and culturally diverse environment seen through the unique surroundings - the materials, the food, the lights, the pipes overhead, and more importantly, the people.

Continue reading "Blog Prompt 1 - Midtown Market/Energy" »