***This blog has been re-launched at: blog.GlowWordBooks.com

Mantle Bowling

mantlepots.jpg

Eric had mentioned a close up of the pots on the mantle, so here they are. I threw them in 2003 out of porcelain for a class I took in Aberdeen. They are about half a foot tall and 1/16" to 1/8" thick (We'll say 3/32nds"). Just like I like thin glassware, I also like thin ceramics.... and I also like thin, dainty cookies that you can eat lots of instead of beefy, uncouth, farm-hand cookies. I am trying to think if there is anything that I like bulkier and I can't come up with anything. I am so bulky and muscular that I usually like thin, ethereal, dainty things to compliment my build.
I used one glaze on the outside of the pots that turns blue or brown depending on the thickness of the glaze and firing technique used. You can see the throw marks from my fingers wrapping around the pots.... I think it gives them personality. If you want smooth, completely even, mundane bowls, you can buy them from the Walmart. But if you want insouciant pots with character, you can get those from real potters. If you don't know any real potters and you don't want to spring for the rolled-back prices of the Walmart, you make them yourself like I did.
The drippy globby-ness near the top is from a clear glaze I used to coat the inside and rim of the pot. The feet are different because I hadn't intended them to be a set when I threw them.... but I fell in love with this glaze and started doing everything in it.... kind of like how I feel in love with Pepperjack cheese and have been eating it for breakfast every day this year. Posted by hans1995 at February 7, 2005 9:19 AM