***This blog has been re-launched at: blog.GlowWordBooks.com

Chocolate Sniping

candybowlsm.jpg
As a kid, I learned how to extract a Hershey's Mini from its wrapper without damaging the wrapper. Mr. Goodbar and Krackel bars were always the most popular flavors and my family members were excellent chocolate snipers... always keeping one eye on the chocolate dish... ready to strike when the supply was running low. For example, if the bowl got down to two Krackel bars, I could expect my mom (or anyone else) to immediately eat them regardless of how hungry they were. The sad reality was that we understood we had to eat them or they simply wouldn't be there next time we checked.

As a defense mechanism in this harsh environment, my mom checked the bowl frequently, my sister ate huge handfuls at a time and I learned how to create decoy chocolate bar.... my mother wouldn't eat the last two if she still thought there were four left. These decoys gave me a better chance of eating the final two bars because I was the only one who understood how direly low the candy supply actually was while casually glancing at the bowl. This knowledge gave me an edge on the final chocolate snipe.

Today, I share this tradition of decoy chocolate with the my co-workers. The final two Hershey's Minis in the bowl have been replaced with decoys.

Posted by hans1995 at April 28, 2005 9:02 AM