« meeting notes: August 29 | Main | My Thesis, My Life »

And so it Begins

Greetings All,

I have enjoyed our discussions thus far and have found them to be most helpful. Here, for your pre-Labor Day Weekend reading pleasure, is version 1.2 of my Hypothesis and Thesis Statement.

Hypothesis:

I returned from studying in Biloxi, MS encouraged by the work dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina I participated in and observed. I was encouraged to see architects and designers offering their services to people who would not usually be able to afford those services yet were in need of them. Returning to Minnesota, I did not know where to look to find an opportunity to do a similar type of work. I began to wonder what a humanitarian practice of architecture for those unable to purchase design services would look like. Questions began to surface such as: How does one go about forming a practice around this idea? Who will the client be? Who will fund the projects? Can the current model of practice be used to this end or must a new model be made? The peoples of the world have many needs and problems for which the skills of an architect can be of assistance in reliving, yet it seems that the general practice of architecture serves those needs in a piecemeal way at best.

Thesis Statement:

The praxis of architecture should provide design services to those who, though unable to pay for them, need assistance meeting their basic human needs.

I hope you all enjoy the long weekend, the last respite before school begins.