A first crack...

________________________________________

__Hypothesis

This spring, the University of Minnesota sent seven students (including myself) on a life-changing ‘study abroad’ journey to Katrina-devastated Biloxi, Mississippi. The clear need for humanitarian efforts to help families in Biloxi and on the Gulf Coast opened my eyes to similar needs unmet here in Minnesota. Biloxi is my inspiration to constantly endeavor.

Working in downtown Minneapolis this summer, I walk the long blocks of Nicollet Mall each day. The street is flanked with shops and bustling with the activity of many business people. But those same long stretches of streets, shops, and business people, house the homeless. On an average walk to and from work, passing eight homeless people isn’t out of the ordinary.

The National Law Center on in 50 cities found that in virtually every city, the city's official estimated number of homeless people greatly exceeded the number of emergency shelter and transitional housing spaces..........[more to come].

__Thesis Statement

“Everybody wants the same thing, rich or poor … not only a warm, dry room, but a shelter for the soul.?

[more to come]

The First Assignment

OK, folks. We all promised to have something in writing for the meeting tomorrow. Try to bang something out and post if here, even if you aren't going to be able to make it to the Onion. Here's mine.

Continue reading "The First Assignment" »