« Reading Response for "The World Is a Text: Introduction" | Main | June 26th english blog »

June 19th english blog

The articles this week were interesting. Expecially the "Weasel Words" article. I loved how some words you hear all the time in ads were pointed out to mean almost nothing. Like the word 'virtually'. I must admit that I have fallen for that word many times before. In fact, I had not even thought of its true meaning until I read this article. Once I found out that it simply means "in essence of effect, although not in fact" I about hit myself. It always seemed synonymous with "almost". Since these "weasel words" were pointed out in this article, I've started to notice them in almost all the ads that I've paid attention to recently. Its almost funny when I think back at how I percieved an ad before. I noticed that many times I give meanings that were never actually there. Then again, thats what the ads are trying to do and I fell prefectly into there traps. Still, I think that even though this article brought up good points that I should be on the lookout for in ads, I can't help but feel that I will still fall for advertisers tricks. Hopefully though, I wont fall for them as much as I did before! I think eventually people will start to catch advertisers tricks and not fall for them. But by the time that happens, I'm positive advertisers will have a few new tricks up there sleeves. I guess the lesson here is to stay sharp and catch there tricks so you can't be pulled in by the hallow ads. Then again, sometimes I like to be pulled in; sometimes its nice to think that something so simple as a cleaning product or air freshener can make my house perfect! Until of course, I find all my money wasted on 50 different air fersheners.