« crime reports | Main | Chicago gets the bid »

Bullfighter Hurt

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-fg-bullfight17apr17,1,2373471.story?coll=la-news-a_section
The LA Times reported that a 14-year-old Spanish bullfighter is in critical condition after being gored by a bull in Aguascalientes, a city north of Mexico City. Jairo Miguel was injured on Sunday as he attempted to perform a risky track called a "cape pass." This is when the bullfighter directly faces the bull and attempts to fake the animal in a direction. It was a very deep goring that penetrated his thorax," Carlos Hernandez, a medical official with the group that organized the bullfights. "The horn penetrated his lung and passed very close to his heart," said Carlos Hernandez, the medical official with the group who organized the bullfight. As his father and a paramedic carried him to the bullring's infirmary, Miguel reportedly could be heard calling out, "I'm dying, father, I'm dying." He is the world's youngest bullfighter and came to Mexico at the age of 12 because he was not allowed to compete in his native country of Spain. In Spain, a bullfighter has to be 16 in order to sign professional contracts.

This reporter didn't list Miguel's injuries until the last paragraph. They should be listed closer to the beginning of the story because that is what the story is about. The comments made by Miguel as he was being carried off were also interesting and I think the reporter should have put those closer to the top of the story. The issue of Miguel's age was close to the top and that is an interesting part of the story.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070417/SPT/704170333/1013
The Cincinnati Post also reported about this story, however, it was a short summary of what happened. The reporter used a lead that captured the attention of the reader: "A 14-year-old matador who left Spain to escape his home country's ban on young bullfighters was nearly gored to death in a Mexican ring, his lung punctured by a 900-pound bull." This gave most of the important information to the reader right away. The summary went on to explain how he was injured and used his quote of "I'm dying, dad, I'm dying."

The Cincinnati Post did a better job on this story, I think. The reporter put the more interesting inofmration in the beginning of the story. The reporter mentioned the same things as the LA Times reporter, but did so with better organization of the information. The lead in the Post story was also better.