Not Ready to Make Nice

We all have seen or heard about well known figures and celebrities making controversial statements. When this happens there is no keeping it from the public. Once society knows about these statements they either have a good or bad reaction. Depending on the situation, the public figure will usually come out with another statement either apologizing or addressing what they had said. What I've realized sometimes with these cases is that public figures have such a big influence on our society. We care so much about what they think and react in certain ways. A case that comes to mind first is when the lead singer of the Dixie Chicks spoke her feelings and opinion about our President at the time, George W. Bush.
On March 10th, 2003 the Dixie Chicks started their tour off in London. At the beginning of the concert, the lead singer for the group, Natalie Maines, made a statement commenting about the war in Iraq and how they as a group were ashamed that the president was a fellow Texan. This statement caused a huge negative reaction by citizens of the United States. Fans ended up boycotting the Dixie Chick's music. This supports the argument that our society is so influenced by what celebrities think and say. I feel as if we thrive off of what they are doing and what they are saying. If an everyday person were to say this, yes people would be upset, but it would not get as much coverage than if a celebrity were to say it.
Instead of coming out with a statement of apology, the Dixie Chicks and Natalie Maines did the opposite. On their next album, their number one hit song "Not Ready to Make Nice" was a deliberate message to all of their fans and people against them. In the song, they are basically saying how they are not ready to forget what happened to them. The last part of the chorus is,
"It's too late to make it right
I probably wouldn't if I could
Cause I'm mad as hell
Can't bring myself to do what it is you think I should".
These words just show how the Dixie Chicks are not ready to move on and won't stand down. This was a big discussion in the country music world because they wouldn't apologize. They are confident in what they said and this song is their response to the public. In the song they express what they have gone through and just pour out how they are really feeling.
I personally love the Dixie Chicks and their music. No, I don't think what they said about our president at the time was the best decision but who am I to tell them how to feel? I think it was very brave of them to go on making music with so many people against them. There was no way they were backing down. They stuck to their beliefs and stood by what they said. If no one wanted to listen to their music that was fine to them. They just wanted to make music for who ever wanted to listen. Eventually, the situation blew over and this song became one of their most popular. I think part of it was because of the statement they made in it. This was definitely something that our public hadn't seen before from celebrities in a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pojL_35QlSI -- music video
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/dixiechicks/notreadytomakenice.html -- lyrics

If you haven't seen the music videos or have read the lyrics, I encourage you to. Apart from making a statement, I think it is an all around good song but to each their own.

Thinking about this example:
Do you guys think our society can become consumed with the lives of celebrities?
Did the Dixie Chicks react in an appropriate way for what they said?