« The Orientation Meeting for the Children's Hospital! | Main | Gotta think of a new organization! »

third time's the charm!!!

ARGH! This is the third time I’m writing this blog entry. I had written a beautifully long blog too (well, it might not have been beautiful, but it was long!) The first time I accidentally went onto another website without opening up a new tab, and the second time it logged me out of the U of M system. But I’m determined to get this done! As I’m sure you can see, I’m rather far behind on my blogs.

Anyways, onto my story!

I was wondering what I should write about in my blog entry today, and one thing came to mind that is affected me and many other people right now. Many Christians now are going through Lent, as some may know, and I decided to write about my own personal experiences so far with this event this year. Now, I know that there are other people who are reading this entry who aren’t of my religion or do not follow a religion at all. I know that religion is a very touchy subject to address. Don’t worry, I’m going to try not to be disrespectful to the people who fall into either one of these categories and not make this a preachy blog. This is actually one of the first times I’m recognizing Lent and doing something for the holiday.

Continuing on with my blog, one of my friends who happen to be a Lutheran like me said she was going to give up using the elevator for Lent. Since we all live on the 12th floor we have become quite reliant on the elevators (can’t blame us!). So I thought this was a good idea and decided to join her in taking the stairs only. I feel really good about myself now, spiritually (for my own reasons) and physically because as I’m sure you can imagine, it’s kind of a workout to climb up these stairs!

Well what is rather ironic is that while we were chasing a group of our friends who were taking the elevator to the bottom floor, my friend tripped on the stairs and sprained her ankle! She is quite alright, she’s a tough girl, but now she is forced to use the elevators. I however can still be seen climbing up and down the stairs, huffing and puffing.

Another one of my friends has been joining me as I climb up the stairs each morning, although he is not religious. He says he is doing it to “pick up the slack? that my injured friend left behind. It’s really nice of him to do this because now I have a stair climbing buddy again and I really like the company!

But the main point that I bring up this story is because of the relationship I have with my friends. I have a nicely diverse group of friends here with many different backgrounds and beliefs. I especially like listening to what everyone has to say, what they have seen, what they have done, what they plan on doing, what they believe, and in general their own thoughts. I get a glimpse of who they are, and it’s like I can experience what it is like to live another life. Just listening to people talk can make it seem like I’m living more than one life. And likewise, I enjoy telling other people what I have to say. We all can learn a lot from each other that way that we might never have figured out on our own. I know I have been changed by the people who I’ve listened to, and I can only hope that I have impacted other people’s lives positively.

What I especially like about my friends is that we don’t criticize one another for being one way or having a certain belief. I believe that it is very important not to condemn a person for who they are and what they believe until they have really gotten to know that person more. One needs to understand why a person chooses to live their life as they do before they can make any judgments about their lives. It’s like the how the saying goes, “walk a mile in someone else’s shoes?.

I feel that many people make suppositions about people too quickly, and far too often negative assumptions. Stereotypes, a subject commonly brought up in class, can aid these pre-existing ideas of people. I try to challenge myself and others to see past these ideas that a life a person is leading is the wrong lifestyle to follow, because it maybe only based on the idea that they are leading a different and stranger life than is deemed normal in society.

I try to instead listen to what a person has to say about their lives, and in turn I usually learn something new and exciting. Only after I have heard a person’s story can I fully understand them and determine if their lifestyle is indeed a bad one to live or not. Only then I can decide if they need help and redirection.

So that is my blog! Rewritten 3 times! I hope it was enjoyed!

Aw, that stinks having to write your blog over 3 times! But I really liked it! I like your story a lot, giving up things for lent is always interesting. My favorite thing about going to the U is probably all the diversity and different people everyone meets and about breaking stereotypes that everyone has. I agree that stereotypes are discussed so much in our class and now I really pay attention to it more everyday. I really enjoyed your blog so I'm glad you were abe to write it, even though you had to type it 3 times..stupid internet.

Interesting Lent idea if I do say so myself. I'm not religious anymore, never 'truly' was, but I was confirmed three years ago and haven't been back since. Your idea to climb stairs all the time sounds more like a New Year's resolution. But then I was thinking 'Hey, this is Lent' so hopefully you'll have a little more conviction since it has religious meaning. I know I've never taken seriously any resolutions I've made. Anyway, congrats on taking 12 flights of stairs, I usually refuse to climb two.