« My Rant Blog! | Main | buzzed and really fatigued »

Superheros, Physics, and Essays Dont Mix Very Well...

Its time once again to create a new blog, and TRY to catch up to the number of blogs that I should have!

I'm kind of having some trouble with the essay that we are supposed to have written for tomorrow (well, atleast the first draft of it). I decided against the superhero essay that I had described before (arguing that there can be such a thing as superheros) because the one important source that I was able to get was deemed not scholarly. I really don't understand why it wasn't scholarly, because when I glanced through the book it had plenty of physic concepts used and it all made sense. They used such equations that I use in my physics class that I'm going through right now. Also, it is written by a professor who actually works here at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. The only thing that made it an unreliable source was that the publishing company was Gotham Books, which apparently isn't a good enough publishing company. I was a bit annoyed by this, I'm not going to lie, because I was really interested in this topic. I knew that I would have trouble finding sources, but I thought I could look up some of my physics books and other texts and would have enough sources that way. I was going to be hard and certainly a stretch, but I was up to it. Unfortunately since I couldn't have that one book approved, which would have been the main source I was going to use, I had to scrap the idea.

Now I've decided on the topic about why there needs to be a push to have more women in the engineering fields. Even though it does deal with my major, and it will be something that I will have to face in the future, I'm just not that interested in it. I'm not having fun writing this and I'm not connecting with it at all. Its just that I don't really find it too much of a problem. I don't really care if there aren't many women in the engineering field. And I was really looking forward to writing my essay on superheros. Oh well... I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

While I was writing that last bit, however, I thought up another idea for my essay so that I could keep the superheros idea. Perhaps I could focus on one superhero in general (like superman), get out some credible physics books from the Walter Library, and do some of my own calculations. I could probably get enough sources without too much trouble. What I would have to do is focus on certain aspects of this super hero's abilities and use one of my sources to argue that a person could actually have these abilities. Its an idea. I don't know. I might just e-mail the teacher after finishing my blog and see what he says about it. I certainly would have credible sources and I would have quite a lot of fun writing it!

However, if I do decide in doing this its going to be hard. How would a person write an essay and incorporate physics equations in it? This is why science and humanities don't really mix I suppose. Probably why I wasn't really good at writing either... hee!

Also, I should update on volunteering! Still don't have a place to go to yet! ACK! I'm going to try to jump on it this week. I hope I'll be able to find something and with enough time to get a lot out of it! Enough to fill in these blogs with stuff I've observed and inavertedly learned. oh geez...

Well, I'm off to write an e-mail! Wish me luck with the idea pitch!

hey, I kind of like that I know the solution to your problem with the whole antimatter thing. I really hope the whole process is going better for you now, I know it can be rough. Stick it out man, only five weeks left!

I think it's really important to write about something you care about (mostly because it makes the assignment much easier) so it's cool that you're really trying to make your superhero idea work. I know theres been so many times that I've had to write about something I had absolutely no interest in and it was just agonizing. I hope your paper worked out!