« Finally... | Main | how embarrassing... »

YES!!!! Finally...

I've got a volunteering job at PSP! Finally! I'm excited! I'll be a roaming librarian giving out books for children and adults to read! I'm a bit disappointed that I wasn't able to do this earlier, but at least I'm getting something done! At least people know that I tried to find a volunteering place!

Well, I went to an orientation/tour thing on Friday which was quite fun! I like this place a lot. You certainly see a lot of diversity here. A lot of different people come here with one thing in common: they are down on their luck and they need a place to stay. You'd be amazed at who comes in there.

In my tour, I saw pretty much all that the building has to offer to its residents. It had a 2 libraries (one for children and one for adults), computer labs, financial aid offices, health aid offices, a place that insured that the children were going to school, tutoring rooms, rooms and apartments as well, a kitchen, a nursery, and the list goes on! When I went in there, one of the first things that I saw that made me a bit nervous was that there was a metal detector right in the door way. At first I though "Is there a real danger here?" But then as I had my tour around the place, I noticed that there wasn't any danger at all and that the metal detector is just there to insure safety. As I walked around, I felt very comfortable. I even got to see a little 7 week old baby, and to know that its safe for a little one to live here, its certainly safe for me.

In my tour, I also saw an introductory movie talking a bit more about PSP and what goes on there. At first I was thinking that it was going to be just another one of those mandatory videos jobs always make their employees watch. But it was kind of cool. I got to see this one woman who had lived at PSP for a while and how she benefited from it a lot. I could tell that she was really impacted by the work done here for her and her family. I liked watching that, and I wish that I could do something like that for someone.

Also, on a lighter note, I was riding up the elevator with the volunteer coordinator who was giving me a tour when a bunch of guys got onto the elevator. They were your typical guys who look gangster with big baggy clothes and hats off to the side. One of them looks at me and says "you've got to be 12 or something". I had to laugh and I said "no, I'm 19!" oh geez! That is certainly not the first time I've been mistaken for a preteen, and I'm sure its not going to be the last!