Primary and Secondary Sources

As a freshman I rarely took advantage of the online library resources on the University of Minnesota Library website.My use of these databases has greatly increased because they provide an abundance reliable and scholarly sources. I have had to write a lot of papers that require primary and secondary sources. Although these terms have been embedded into my brain since about seventh grade, I still have to look up the definitions when writing a paper to clarify my understanding. Instead of reading the definitions for the billionth time, I looked up a video on YouTube.

To my surprise, JSTOR, a library database (and one of my favorite resources) provided a great video that differentiates primary and secondary sources in a clear and concise manner. First the video defined a primary source and a secondary source. Then it communicated the importance of each source. I found this aspect the most helpful because I realized why I needed both primary and secondary sources in my paper. Primary sources are the core of historical research and are original material from the involved time period. They have not been filtered through for interpretation or evaluation. Secondary sources are written after the original time period. They are interpretations and evaluations of the primary sources. They aren't evidence, but rather commentary and discussion of evidence. By comparing and contrasting the primary sources and secondary sources one can communicate the necessary background information as well as the impact and evaluation of the original material. Check out the video because it's very helpful!