Annotated bibilography

Ksana Harrison
RHET 1101
11-2-06
Annotated Bibliography: Eating Disorders among Dancers

Alfaro, Nancy. “The Myth of the Perfect Body: Seven Gorgeous Dancers talk about why they are far from perfect.? Dance Magazines. Issued July 2006. http://www.dancemagazine.com/

This journal article is a type of autobiography of seven professional dancers and their struggles with being dancers. The dancers talk about the things that they suffered with, eating disorders, and how they over came them. Nancy Alfaro, the author, has written many articles and stories about eating disorders among dancers. She is very creditable and has been researching and studying dancers and their lifestyle. Nancy’s audience that she is talking to with her article “The Myth of the Perfect Body? is directed towards dancers in their upper teens to early twenties. With my paper on eating disorders among dancers ties in very well with Nancy’s article. Having personal testimonies helps bring the true story out.

Bachner-Melman, Rachel. “How Anorexic-like Are the Symptoms and the Personality Profiles of Aesthetic Athletes?? Medical and Science Sports and Exercise. No4. Issued October 2005. http://www.acsm-msse.org

Through statistics this source gives information on aesthetic athletes. On example of a statistic is that athletes are slightly more at risk of eating problems than non-athletes. Rachel Bachner-Melman has written a few books and has enjoyed researching into sports nutrition. For this particular article Rachel is talking to all aesthetic athletes along with their coaches and parents. The way that this relates to my paper is because dance falls under the category of an aesthetic sport. The audience is the same type of people as I address in my paper.

D’Amico, Lana. “Not Thin Enough: When Losing Weight Becomes Losing Control.? Young Dancer. Issued October 2003. www.youngdancer.com/oct2003

Lana talked about her personal experience as a seventeen year old girl who was falling into the lies of the stero-type that you have to be 100 pounds to be a dancer. It continues to talk about the help that she received and the support system she gained to help her recover. Lana is in her late twenties and has only published one book, and it is a basis off of her article. She is talking towards the young students. Students that are in high school as freshman through senior. This paper is like the paper that I am typing up. It talks about how eating disorders start small and get bigger.

Hamilton, Linda. “Advice for Dancers.? Dance Magazine. Issued August 2005. http://saturn.oit.umn.edu/

The article “Advice for Dancers? is given by a former New York City Ballet dancer on eating disorders. It is based on four different stories/comments that are commonly made by dancers and then the reason for the comments and a solution to each remark. Lind Hamilton is a psychologist in private practice, and is the author of the book “Advice for Dancers.? Since 1992 Linda has been sending in advice articles to Dance Magazine. Her audience is those who have a single sided mind set. Who as soon as they find a flaw in their body that is all they think about, and they also think that they are the only ones who are suffering with it. When writing my paper I can get ideas of how to address some of the problems along with some solution ideas from this article.

Holmes, Eda. “When Your Body Becomes Your Enemy.? Dance Magazine. Issued July 2006. http://web.ebscohost.com.floyd.lib.umn.edu/

When people let their mind take over their body and fall in the trap of thinking that they are fat so they hardly eat anything is what this article is talking about. Eda Holmes had suffered from anorexia and bulimia as a dancer and is determined to let people know about how dangerous eating disorders are. I, like Eda, want to let people know how dangerous eating disorders are, and how when a person has the mindset that they are fat, many times they will do anything to get thinner and let their mind control their bodies.

Smith, Amanda. “The Mirror has Two Faces.? Dance Magazines. Issued July 2006. http://www.dancemagazine.com/.

Anorexia is the key point to this article. It talks about the problems or eating disorders in the world of dance and what they are doing to try and fix it. Amanda Smith has graduated from college with a master’s degree in psychology. She has worked with different dance magazines, specifically Dance Magazine to get do research and find out how bad dancers are hurting themselves to be the star dancer and what, if anything is the company doing about it. With this article titled “The Mirror has Two Faces? Amanda is taking towards young dancers that have a deceiving look of themselves. This article pertains to my paper because it directly talks about eating disorders among dancers and they different things studios and companies are doing to try and eliminate the number of students suffering from anorexia and other eating disorders.

“12 Warning Signs of Anorexia.? Dance Magazine. Issued July 2006. www.dancemagazine.om/anorexia/

This paper tells about 12 of the best signs to identify if I person might be anorexic. The dance magazine has published reliable resources to my topic. When reading this article it will help me realize not just people that who are athletic or people that have very little low key.