May 10, 2006

Documenting Park Point Reflections

1. Describe your brainstorming + ideation process.
First we had to pick a place in Duluth that we wanted to document. Park Point was one of a few options we came up with and the one that we decided to work on. The thought of urban legends came up and we decided to make up some fictional characters that once "lived" on Park Point. To incorporate this into a 12ft long project we decided to make a map of the "old" Park Point. We needed photography, illustration and type. We used the photography as if someone took these pictures of the characters we made up... they are a bit hard to see, but thats the point... the people took these pictures in a hurry. The illustrations are then the artist representation of what these characters are. Then we added the legends so that the people looking at the map know what they are all about.
2. Describe how you worked as a team + divided the tasks of typography, photography, and illustration.
Cole was in charge of photography, Trevor was in charge of illustration, and I was in charge of typography. Cole and I went out to park point to find the images for the photos, we had to find things that looked like the characters that we thought up. Trevor did a great job on the illustrations! We all decided on a font choice and decided that we liked it as the title font as well as the main text.
3. Describe problems that came up as you worked with the physical qualities of materials and size... How did your team solve these isures?
One main problem with size was time. To do a 12 ft project it would have been nice to have a couple more weeks so that we could have had more time to brainstorm, print, and finalize. To solve printing we decided to make our project black and white and have it printed completly on one piece of paper. We wanted to have some time to do some hand coloring, however printing did not allow us this time. It turned out well though. We toar the edges to give it a more realistic feel and i think that added to the overall feel of the map.
4. Reflect on how the diverse design elements work together and create unity in the final piece.
I think we did really well on this part, we wated to document something "real" something that has already happened. Our idea at the beginning was strong and so that helped out a lot. We knew what we wanted and so we knew what direction to take. We wanted the look of an old time map. So we found a type that looks like someone had wrote it on themselves. The illustrations overlap the photos and show how the two work together. Making our photographs look crumpled matches the background that we picked for the entire project.
5. In what ways does your design generate visual or conceptual surprise?
Well living in Duluth everyone is familiar with park point. The design as a whole creates a type of surprise because it is an aspect of park point that no one knows of. The design tells about the myths of park point. But obviously these don't exist.
6. How does your work represent impeccable craftsmanship?
Well the best part of it was that we have a 12ft project that is one piece. No tileing was needed and that helps the craftmanship a ton! Overall our project rocks!

May 9, 2006

Park Point

Cole, Trevor, and I decided to document Park Point. At first we wanted to do all of Park Point, however that wasn't an option so we went with the end... past the airport. For our project we wanted to make up a map of park point that tells of some of its legends. Obviously none of them are true, as one is about a sand monster, one has to do with a Venus flytrap, and so on. The map is geared toward tourists as something they could take along with them and look at as they walked along park point. This project is 12ft long and has to be able to be hand held so we decided to turn it into a scroll. This scroll will resemble an old map… to make it look worn a texture was added to the whole thing and the pictures were crumpled up and scanned in to give some depth. The three elements that we needed for this project were photography, illustration, and type. To make all three go together on our map we used the photos to represent pictures that someone took of the "real" sand monster, flytrap, mutant rabbit, park beast, and so on. The illustrations are an artists interpretation of what they really look like and the type informs the reader of the legend. It was a good project and everyone in our group worked well together... I just wish that we would have had more time to work on it. It was quite the project to take on with only a few weeks and having to do it during finals.